Regret

"Meeting is over."

Catherine announced before everyone in the room began to exit the tent. Vox was the last one to leave but the general held him back. It's been months since he betrayed his own father and sister to join the team of the same woman who took his mother's life.

"What do you think of the plan?" Catherine questioned.

Vox sat back on his chair and shrugged. "It's good."

Catherine gazed at Vox as if she was waiting for a more specific answer.

"What else do you want me to say? All your plans work a hundred percent general and the queen is always pleased." Vox responded, his voice filled with boredom and bitterness.

Catherine although expressionless was hurt, not because of the boy's words but the way he acts around her outside battles—but she knew this is to be expected. After all she killed Julia, despite it being against her own will. Catherine had been in fact friends with Vox's mother since they were children and fulfilling Julia's request of taking her life that night the Stormguards came for the twins is the biggest regret the general has in her life.

"You're dismissed." Catherine said flatly. "Go and prepare for tomorrow's ambush."

Vox without missing a beat stood up and left, he went back to his tent and laid on his bed. "Go and prepare for tomorrow's ambush blah blah. Look at me I am Catherine the Storm Queen's stupid puppet." the boy perfectly imitated Catherine's voice then chuckled to himself bitterly.

"She will break your headphones apart if she catches you making fun of her."

"Pfft—the queen will tear her apart if she lay any finger on me." Vox replied and glanced at Joule.

Joule shook her head and closed the tent curtain behind her as she entered. The girl sat down on the floor next to a chair and stared at Vox. "The untouchable royalty huh? Impressive, your highness." she teased.

Vox laughed. Joule was the sole person who could make him laugh genuinely in this camp. Well aside from the fact that the tech girl was the most 'normal' among them. Catherine's team is an odd bunch; formed by monsters and a few peculiar characters along with one undead viking of some sort.

"So what's eating you inside?" Joule asked.

"Hopefully nothing literal." Vox answered.

Joule laughed and playfully jabbed at Vox's arm. "It's a metaphor your highness, I was asking what's troubling you? You've been gloomier than the first day you set foot in camp."

"Nothing." Vox quickly responded.

"Nothing as in nothing is making you happy anymore?" Joule said.

Vox shot a glance down on Joule and shook his head. "Has anyone ever told you that you can be incredibly annoying?"

The girl laughed and tapped the brim of her little hat. "Not anyone who is still alive."

"Oh? Is that a threat?" Vox smirked.

Joule shook her head and stood up. "It's not, I don't wanna be killed off by the queen you know. Anyway, I need to patrol the jungle. See ya later." the girl said and left.

***

As soon as Joule was gone, Vox began snapping his fingers, playing with the sound waves inside the tent while he wallowed in his misery. Tiny rings of sound waves emerged from the tip of the boy's fingers, hitting the hanging target above his bed repeatedly. His mind wandered to the thought of his remaining family. His twin sister must hate him so much by now but it didn't matter to him as long as he can keep them safe by being one of the queen's favorite puppet. Vox became bored inside his tent after awhile and decided to go out and follow Joule into the jungle. Along his way out of the camp he saw the inseparable Blackfeather and his monstrous companion Phinneas, or as everyone calls him, Phinn.

"Ah, your highness! Going for a stroll?" Blackfeather asked.

"Stop calling me your highness. I'm not a prince." Vox answered. "I'm going to the jungle, if Catherine looks for me tell her I'm with Joule."

"As you wish." Blackfeather said and curtsied.

Phinn did not stir and was busy feeding Susie, his canary friend.

Vox finally made his way out of the camp and released a breath he has been holding ever since the meeting ended earlier. He made his way into the jungle, precisely avoiding the hidden land mines as he can hear them even from under ground. After walking around he finally located Joule who was at the north side of the jungle, the sound of clogs from inside her robot and the thumping of the ground from every step could be heard by Vox even from a mile away. As he began to head north, a distinct sound caught his attention. A voice. Someone singing from the Kraken lair direction. The feeling of uneasiness came over Vox. He didn't dare head to the direction where the voice is coming from but his feet betrayed him. As he inched closer to the Kraken lair, his hand curled into a ball of fist as guilt washed over him. He knew this voice and song very well for it is one he grew up hearing. Vox hid behind a tree and looked at the open space, there singing at the mouth of the cave was a girl.

"Celeste..."

To Be Continued...

A/N: I wanted this chapter to be dramatic but I can't seem to write it. Probably because I'm trying to be more positive this year? idk but yeah I'm also not sure if I'm going to continue this chapter. Let me know in the comments if you guys want the twins to see each other.