Chapter 2: Welford High

*Janine*

I woke up to the warmth of the sunshine smiling brightly at me. I rolled over and look at the time on my digital clock, 7:00am. I got out of bed and did my morning routine to prepare for school. Once I showered, I put on a black pullover and black pants and strapped on my brown timberlands and headed downstairs. The smell of pancakes wafted through my nose and I smiled at the sight of my dad preparing breakfast. "Good morning Dad. Did you sleep well last night?" I asked and kissed him on the cheek. "I did. How about you dear?" he replied as he placed a pancake on my plate and drizzled on maple syrup before sliding it over to me on the island counter. 

I digged in and replied "Yeah I did. God this is awesome. Your the best Dad!" I sliced my pancake and coated on a thick layer of the maple syrup before placing it into my mouth. I savoured the smooth taste of the pancake and the gooey maple syrup in my mouth before swallowing it and finished up the rest of my breakfast. I placed it in the dishwasher and looked at the clock, 7:30am. 

I grabbed my backpack from the couch and said "Dad I'm heading for school now. If you need anything, call me." I said and waved him goodbye. He looked up from the newspaper he was reading and waved at me. I exited the house and decided to walk to school instead of driving my car. I strapped my bag tighter around me and tread along the path leading to Welford High. It was my first year in this prestige school and Dad had worked really hard to fund the school fees.

My dad was all that I have left. I lost my mother to illness when I was 10. She had died of an unusual disease where she had turned extremely pale when we had visited her at the hospital one night. She became very thin and weak and could barely even open her eyes to acknowledge our presence. Thats when I notice there were puncture marks on the side of her neck. Two tiny holes against her thin pale neck. Thats when the doctor came in and told us to exit the ward as he needed to examine my mother. We headed out and sat on the bench in silence. Minutes later, the doctor came out and explained her condition. He had explained that she was bitten by some sort of infectious rabid bug and contracted an unusual disease. The doctor had look flustered and told us to prepare for the worst.

~flashback~

We rushed to the hospital upon receiving a call from the doctor. I prayed to God, hoping that he would save my mother from death and that all of this was just a dream. I couldn't bring myself to believe that my mother was going leave me. For good. 

We barged into the ward that my mother was staying in. I stood rooted in shock and stared at the bloody mess in front of me. My mother, was dead. The monitor which was attached to her let out a flat and monotonous sound. The line which represents her heart beat, was no longer in waves like it was the night before when we had visited. 

It was now a flat line. I looked at the thin and frail woman in front of me. Her hands limped and hung from her unmoving body, blood all over her neck. But what shocked me the most was her eyes. 

It was open. Clearly she wasn't ready to go. Her eyes, which was once bright and full of spirit, now looked empty and hollow. The sockets of her eyes looked sunken in and the way her eyes stared up at the ceiling had left an edge on me. 

"MUM!" I screamed and ran to her side. I shook her , willing her to wake up and embrace me in her arms, whispering to me that it was all unreal, that I was just having a bad dream. Tears poured down my face in rivulets and I screamed at her once more. She remained lifeless in my arms and I continued shaking her until I felt a strong pair of arms lifting me away from her. It was my dad. He crushed me in a hug and stroked my hair. I cried into his chest and I felt something dripped onto my hair, I looked up and saw that my dad was crying too. 

~End of flashback~

I snapped back into reality when I heard a bell chime. I looked at my watch and saw that it was already 7:51am. I cursed and bolted straight into the gates of Welford High and rushed to the office to register and retrieve my schedule.

My first class was History and it was in the humanities classroom of Block A. I searched for the big sign and made a run towards it. I was left with exactly two minutes or else I would be late for class. As it was my first year, I did not want to make a bad impression. I found the classroom I was looking for, I dashed in with 15 seconds left to spare. 

I found a seat at the back and took out the materials needed for the lesson and soon enough, the teacher walked in. 

Author's note:

hey guys, this is chapter 2 of my story. I will try my best to update the book as much as possible so stay tuned :)

Do not hesitate to tell me by commenting if you spot a grammar error or mistakes in my story. I will make amendments and do my best to improve :)

xoxo,

ZeeAnn :]