Chapter 9: Staying Alive

*Janine*

I walked through the front door of my house and dumped my bag on the sofa before heading upstairs to my room. It was only 4:15pm in the afternoon. Dad's still at work since the house is empty.  I took a hot shower in the bathroom andlet the warm water hit my face.

A vampire? Was it just an infectious bug that cost my Mum's life? Does it really exist? Questions buzzed in my head and curiosity gnawed at me. 

I stepped out of the bathroom and changed into a black pullover with flower prints on the ends of the sleeves and my favourite pants. I dried my hair and apply a thin layer of hair oil before heading downstairs to the kitchen. I made myself a cup of hot chocolate and added in some jumbo sized marshmallows. I took out my laptop and set it on the kitchen counter along with my mug of chocolate goodness. 

I logged in and typed in "vampire" in the search engine. Seconds later, hundreds of articles and website links appeared on the screen. Wow, theres so many researches. I randomly clicked one an article and flinched when an image of a huge vampire bite was imprinted on a neck. It looked really smilier to the ones I saw on my mum's neck at the hospital just that this image had multiple holes on the neck and teeth marks all over. 

I scrolled down to read the article and my eyes widen in shock at the information that I was reading. I exited the page and clicked on another one. This went on until evening and I hadn't realise that Dad was still out, he's not home yet. I looked at the digital time on the top of my computer screen, 6:45pm.

Thats strange. Dad is usually at home by now. I picked up my phone and dialled his number.  It rang a few times and in the end went to voicemail. I furrowed my eyebrows and called again. Its not usual for Dad to not pick his phone up. 

However, after the fifth ring someone picked it up. "Hello?" a voice said. I stayed quiet for a few moments as I was sure the voice on the other line was a female. "Hello? Is this someone related to Mr Micheal Donovan?" the voice continued. "Yes, I'm his daughter, Janine Shon. And where is my father?" I replied. "Hi Janine, I'm a nurse. Come to Blue Sparrow Hospital as fast as you can. Your Father is being sent there now. Hurry." 

"What? Why? Whats happened to my Dad?" I shrieked in alarm. Fear slowly consumed me. Million thoughts of what could possibly happen to my Dad flooded through my mind. 

"It appears your Dad was attacked by an animal on his way back. A cleaner found him in an alley and called us. We are on the way to the hospital now and your Father seems to have lost alot of blood and is looking incredibly pale. Please come to the hospital now."

The line went dead. It slipped through my fingers and I collapsed on the sofa, trembling. I was shaking with fear and I can barely keep my legs standing. Cold sweat beaded my forehead as the thought of possibly losing someone so dear to me. "What if...No! Father wont leave me. He needs to stay alive. Please Dad! Stay alive!" I cried, tears pouring down my face. I couldn't handle the truth alone if my Dad really leave me. 

Suddenly, my phone rang with an unknown number. "Hello?" I whispered, shaking. "Hey Janine! Its Qui-are you alright?" concern laced his voice.

"No Im not. Quinn can you accompany me to the hospital? My Dad is being sent there now. Please?" 

"Sure Im on my way. Don't worry Janine, your Dad's gonna be fine." 

"Thanks, see you."

And with that I bolted out of the front door and into my car. I ignited the engine and sped onto the main road towards the hospital.

 A/N

Im so so sorry for the extremely late update! >< Been really busy with trainings, homework and extra errands so yeah ><

Anyways, hope you guys like this chapter and do drop a comment to share with me what you think or any suggestions to the story! :))

ZeeAnnn :)