Chapter 2- First Prize

.

"Any action without the remembrance of Allah is either a diversion or heedlessness except four acts: walking from target to target (during archery practice), training a horse and learning to swim."

1999 August

The community town hall was glammed up today, as today was the prize distribution day for the children who participated in sports and cultural activities. By about 5 in the evening, the hall was filled with children talking excitedly, all of them occasionally checking the trophies that glistened on the stage.

Every year, multiple competitions are in the neighbourhood which ends with a grand finale of prize.
There's an overall trophy for the best participants under 10 and under 15 age groups, which was a celebrated honor. The tradition started with Fathiha ( the first and most important chapter of holy quran) and some speeches of important elders in the community.

As the programme wore on, a tall skinny boy with long hair was claimed most of the prizes in under 15 category and a cute girl with a beautiful smile won most of under 10 category awards. By 6pm, the ruckus of the crowd was settling down and there was excitement in the air for the final prize giveaway.

The bearded man, in his booming voice announced, "The all-rounders championship trophy goes to Amjad Navas and Marjaan Ahmed from under 15 and under 10 category respectively"

---------
Marjaan P.O.V

"...prize goes to Amjad Navas and Marjaan Ahmed"

YES!! YES!!

It's mine. I hugged my dad tightly knowing how he encouraged me to compete in sports which wasn't favoured for girls in my community.

I grinned in pure joy against the cheering the crowd, while my brother looked uninterestedly at the bearded uncle who was giving away the trophies.

The other kid who won the under 15 champion somehow looked very familiar but I couldn't place him.

I walked chin up to the stage giving my best smile to everybody, but for some obscure reason I got the feeling that my fellow winner didn't look entirely pleased to see me. Amjad, as his name was announced looked like he was unhappy about something so I made a mental note to go congratulate him after we got down.

I need to make competitive friends like these. I knew my friends were no real match for me as I ended up winning against them every time. This Amjad kid will surely be a challenge, grinning a little at the thought of winning in a race against him.
I gave him one of my best smiles and he just looked away.

Amjad P.O.V

I was rudely shocked when I saw it was the same girl who gave me an embarrassing weekend of, "What happened to your hand?" I tripped and fell on a sharp rock, I said to them all.

I avoided being in her proximity while I waited for my dad so that I could finally get home.

Uh-oh, she's heading my way...Marjaan or whatever her name was.

"Assalamualaikumm" she said smiling at me.

"Walaikumassalam" I answered automatically, wondering what she wanted.
"Congrats for the prize!"
"Same to you" I mumbled wishing she would leave.

"Will you be my friend and race with me?"

I looked at her sheepish face wondering, but the scar reminded me what she's capable of. I stared at her for a second more coming with a remark that occurred smart at the time.

"I don't make friends with small girly girlies"

After a momentarily pause of surprise, she smiled and added,

"You are scared. You know you will lose the race against me"
She made a face and stomped off with, "such a loser" quite audibly.
My male pride was hurt when this tiny girl in her embroidered jeans and stupid cartoon teeshirt called me a loser.

I stood there wondering what kind of monstrous women she will grow out to be when she gets older. Luckily, Adhaan (call for prayer) for Magrib (4th prayer of the day) filled my ears and I rushed to pray so I could forget about what she said.

--------------------------------------------
Hi readers,
I just wanted to clear one thing
Marjaan is 8 and Amjad is 14 in this chapter they are 6 years apart. .