Chapter 12 - Engagement

'And among Allah's signs is this: that He created for you spouses from among yourselves, so that you might find rest in them; and He has set between you love and compassion. Truly there are signs in this for people who reflect.' (Quran, 20:21)

Amjad P.O.V

It was my engagement today and I couldn't make it. I had told everyone that I didn't have leaves to spare, but truth is I am trying to save some dough as well as holidays that I will need for the wedding. Farza kept reminding me about getting an engagement ring; she was itching to go ring shopping.

But I insisted that I will buy one and send it along with a friend who was going home.

Finding a ring wasn't an easy task as I thought, I wanted her to wear it every day cherishing it, and I wanted to cherish everyday seeing it on her fingers. I spent my spare time hunting for the right ring, and I lost count of the stores I went to. I was turning to leave from the last shop when the salesman pulled out a spectacular ring in front of me.

The band had stones lined on three fourths or its area, and looked classy. But what really caught my eyes was the engraving inside. It beckoned me, offering a promise. I left the store with the ring for my Marjaan with a renewed confidence, as I walked in other stores to buy something more.

This was my first time shopping alone, and I wanted to give my best effort as this will be the most important gifts I would ever buy.

Today she will receive them and I hoped she liked it. I waited for Farza to call. I had asked her to call me when she reaches Marjaans house. I was anxiously looking at my watch. It must be 17:30 in India, why is Farza not calling?

Just then, my cell rang with that familiar tune. It was Farza.

"Assalamualaikum"

"Walaikumassalam"

"Amju we just gave her your gifts and the ring ...ok so bye!"

"Wait wait wait...Farza I want to talk to her!"

"Ooooh..! You wanna taaaaaalk to her?"

"Farza, I'd sent you everything you've asked. Now please let me talk to her. Okay?"

"Okay Amju, wait a second"

I could hear Farza asking someone permission for us to talk, it should be Ferooza aunty I assumed.

"Assalamualaikum" she said almost like a whisper.

"Walaikumassalam. Hi, how are you?"

"I'm good Alhamdulillah..."

Marjaan P.O.V

My friends reached home by lunch time even though engagement was at five in the evening.
I told them to come earlier for a moral support; I could use their help to maintain my cool.

"MJ, is that what you're wearing?" Diane asked

"Whooo.." Hima whistled. "It looks like a costume from a drama club in the sixties"
Hima was allergic to anything that had sparkles.

"Atleast I'm not having my engagement looking like a hobo" I retorted.

"Come on girls" Batul, the peacekeeper had spoken.

"Yeah Hima, shut up already!"

She mock curtsied and said she was going to get my tiara, and I knew she was heading to the kitchen. Diane was lying on my bed sighing, "pity he can't make it"

"Nah, would probably freak our princess out" said Batul laughing.
"Do you girls know about the candle story? Very...romantic." Afreen asked my friends with her eyebrows going up and down.