Chapter 27 - Sabr(patience)

إِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّابِرِينَ

Allah is with those who have patience. (Quran 8:46)

~*~*~*~

"When going through a hardship, if you turn to Allah and push yourself to be patient, sooner or later you'll see how that hardship was actually a blessing."
-
Saad Tasleem.

Amjad P.O.V

When I reached my office table there was something shining on my desk. I walked closer and found that it was a present. I opened the wrapper and it was a baby record book and a card saying waiting for your arrival with a picture of a teddy bear.

It was from my friend Zaheer. He must have left it for me after his shift got over. I put it in my bag. I texted him a thank you before I started working. The office had a rule of no cell phones at work and we all usually put it in silent mode.

Today was unusually hectic and I was rooted to my chair . I spent many hours in front of the computer that my eyes started hurting. Due to the heavy work load I couldn't take a break, Marjaan might have messaged me. I thought of waiting till the job got over. She sends long messages and I won't get much time during office hours.

I had my room mates cycle and I rode back to my apartment. I was sleep deprived but I wanted to talk to her so badly. I took out my phone and saw that there was missed calls from Mumma. There were no message or calls from Marjaan. May be she was busy studying.

I called Mumma. She must be angry that I didn't call her and complement her for all the food she sent along to Ireland. She picked up and her tone was distressed.

She told me about the miscarriage. I felt like some one hit me on my head. I just wanted to be there for Marjaan. I could still feel the sound of my child's heartbeat. The toys I bought. The clothes already packed , the gifts I started receiving.

It was like a sting to my heart. I was so excited about my flesh and blood. I wanted to be with Marjaan. I felt terrible being apart. I just hoped everyone would calm her, but, I was alone and I had to deal with this agony on my own. She must be in pain. She must be going through so much.

Mumma had adviced me against coming quickly. Nothing made sense. I wanted to be near Marjaan.

I called a tour operator, but, he informed me that there were no flights to India for two days as there was some climate related problem. It normally takes sixteen hours to reach India and when I would finally reach India, it would be not after four days.

I went inside my room, locked the door and cried. I couldn't even talk to Marjaan. She must be devastated. I wanted to hold her hands and tell her that I was there for her. To soothe her, just hug her for a long time.

I knew it was Allah's test, but, I couldn't cope with it so soon. I got many calls. I would pick up and they would say they were sorry for my loss. I didn't want to talk to anyone other than Marjaan. I called ummi and Mumma on regular intervals to get her update.

My dear wife,
This is surely Allah's test. Don't worry. Be strong, Allah will bless us with pious children. Now is not the time. Don't be gloomy, study well, my tigress. I am sorry that I am physically not near you, but, in my mind both of us are sitting near the lake and looking at each other.
I love you .

I clicked on the send button on my phone and the message was delivered soon. It might take her a while to read this but all I could do was send her messages.

I made wudhu and read sunnah prayers. I wept like a child, I had heard in a hadith that whatever test we face in life we should repent to Allah because it could be due to some wrong deeds we did or it could be just a test, but, Allah loves our sincere repentance. I stayed that way for a long time. I prayed to Allah for Marjaans recovery.