Prolouge

- Mathew -

Trashy pop music played from my trucks radio as I drove down the barren highway towards Toronto. It was just starting to get dark, already past nine O'clock when my phone started vibrating on the seat next to me.

When I picked up my phone, my lit up phone screen showed a picture of me kissing my boyfriend. Displayed on the top of the screen said the name "Kenji" as my phone continued to vibrate in my hand.

I waited until my phone stopped vibrating as I intentionally missed the call and my phone screen shut off leaving the cab in my truck feeling dark and empty.

I can't talk to him.

I know my father did some bad things when I was younger and he paid for it. Three years in jail he severed, but now that he's found me he wants to see me and oddly enough, after all the stuff he did I still wanted to see him to.

I wanted to know I still had someone who I can call my dad.

Kenji never told me where his dad is, but I hope he can find it in him to understand why I had to leave to see my own father. I know he would do the same if he ever got in contact with his dad, where ever he may be. I just know I'm doing the right thing. For myself.

I pulled into a gas station to fill up my truck, grab a few snacks and case of Red Bull to keep me awake for a couple more hours of driving using up almost half the money I had left.

Sitting inside my truck, my eyes were locked on my phone. I know I needed to call him. I had to talk to Kenji. I just couldn't stand to hear his voice again knowing I hurt him by leaving. But I had to leave.

Grabbing my phone, I looked through it one last time. Seeing the pictures of us. The last text messages
He sent to me ... asking where I was and to please answer... I turned my phone off for the final time and took out the battery and sim card, opening my truck door, smashing my phone on the gravel. The screen shattered from the impact of being thrown, small pieces of scattered glass lay around what used to be my phone.

I snapped my sim card in two and threw it in the garbage along with my battery and drove away.

No more thinking about my probation, no more thinking about the past. No more thinking of Kenji.

Im looking to start a new life.

With my dad.