September Rain

"Billy...stop joking with me." Grace ordered trying to persuade herself that what she was hearing wasn't true. "Grace I'm not." Billy replied sadly.

The Great War had been raging in Europe since mid 1914 August 4th to be exact. September rain was falling and so were Grace's tears. "No Billy I refuse to let you go!" She sobbed. "Don't worry Darlin everything is gonna be alright." Billy said taking her in his strong arms. "They're gonna kill you Billy they aren't rabbits." Grace stuttered. "Germans shoot back rabbits don't my friend." "Grace it'll be alright, I can hold my own and shoot things that are shooting me, survival instincts are amazing things." Billy reassured. Grace shook her head, "Why are you always so sure of yourself?"

Billy had always been handy with a gun. Weather it be a one pence play pistol from the general store or a 12 gage shot gun. Some may even say it was his specialty, but no one really knew where he got the talent. He never knew his father, his uncles lived interstate so it was just his mates and they weren't much of a challenge.

"So it really is GoodBye?" Grace blubbered. "No it's not what are you talking about? I'll be back I promise." Billy whispered kissing her forehead. "William! William Nykiel! BILLY!" "Meg's calling meet me at the tree at 7 o'clock." Billy said as he let her go. Grace nodded. "Want me to walk you home?" "No I'll be okay and the boys will be worried I'll run." Grace said. They both turned and began walking, Grace stopped, September rain whisking at her cheeks. "Billy?!" She called. Billy looked. "I love you." Grace smiled. She didn't know if it was rain or a tear that trailed down Billy's cheek but she knew he loved her too.