Heartbreak

Mrs Mary-Claire Wilson
Alimar Station
Northern Territory Australia
"Dear Mary-Claire,
By now you would have received the heart breaking news of the loss of your husband Private Richard Wilson. I was fortunate enough to nurse him for a few short minutes before he drifted away. He spoke only of you and smiled every time he said your name. He asked me to tell you he loved you and will see you on the other side.
My greatest condolences go out to you. Your husband was a strong and happy man and please know he'll never be forgotten.
Regards
Sister Grace Craig."
"That was very sweet Gracie, we should do that for every patient." Bee said. "What every single one that comes in or every single one that dies?" Kathy asked. "The ones that die Kathy the ones that die and that's a really good idea Bee." I said really quickly. "Yeah I'll just go write one to Mum." Kathy pointed over her shoulder sarcastically. "Kathy please." Caroline said. "Well c'mon we don't have enough paper or anything at that matter to write to their mothers and their girlfriends." Kathy said quite rudely. "Honestly Kathy we know you've lost your brother and you're grieving but you don't need to act like this." I rose to my feet. "Gilby was the ONLY THING I had. The only thing and that's what you ladies don't get!" She yelled right in my face. "And by the way I have all your mail but wait it's in my apron pocket which is in the laundry basket." She stormed out tears in her eyes. "KATHY!" We all screamed in unison. "KATHY!" I ran after her and caught her arm. "What?!" She asked. "Where's that mail?"
"In the basket I told you."
"Kathy I know you have the letters and you've gotta stop we fully understand the loss you've suffered but you need to be yourself again please." I begged. Kathy's top lip wobbled. "Oh I miss him so much." She fell onto me and cried on my shoulder. "Shhh I know." I rubbed her back. "I'm so miserable Grace I don't understand how you can keep smiling." She cried. I shrugged, "I just think of the good things, like the end, Australia's name, a new world, new machines, new developments, new knowledge." I saw Bee out of the corner of my eye. "New love." I smiled. Kathy smiled softly but sadly, "True..." "C'mon lets give them the letters." I put my arm around her waist and we went back to the tent.
++++
"One for Caroline, two for Honey and one for me." Kathy handed them out. They looked at me sympathetically. "What? I. Sure there's some in Cairo." I shrugged. Caroline spoke up, "You say that every time. Are you sure they're writi-" "Yes they're writing." I reassured myself and the girls. I sighed heavily, "Sister Craig your brother is asking for you." Matron said poking her head in. I rose to my feet and smiled a disappointed smile. "I'll talk to you girls when I get back." I said doing up my cape.
+++++
"Gracie!?" I head someone call. "Oh shut up Tommo please mate you're driving us nuts." Another digger told him. "Gracie!" Tom wailed, he was distraught. "Hey hey shhh what's happened?" I asked gripping his hand. "He woke up screaming, like we all have been." The guy next to him explained. "Thankyou Private James." I said softly. "Now now Tommy deep breathes good job." Within two minutes Tom was fast asleep. I sighed, "17 and crazy." I muttered. "They're calling it shell shock, sister. It's awful. He's only got a light case some of the boys in the trenches have it a lot worse." Private James said, scared. I swallowed hard, "Poor kid this wasn't part of the plan." I said. "He your lover sister Craig?"
"No my brother." I replied. "I apologise for the assumption sister." Private James hung his head. "Oh don't worry it's alright how does some sleep sound? I know I need some." I tucked in his sheet. "Sounds pretty grand see you tomorrow sister."
••••
<BILLY>
I watched Lawrie, Jacko and Dave, as the slept deeply on the trench floor. We were all huddled together trying to keep out of the chilling wind. I never slept, I worried to much. I worried about Grace. I worried about the girls. I worried about the boys. I worried about my friends. I worried about Australia. I worried about the rest of the world. Everything was just a huge worry. A mans voice floated through the air as he rasped a song from no-mans-land. In a few minutes his voice would just be a memory and another soul will knock on heavens door. "It's a long way to Tipperary!" He sang. "It's a long way to go!" I replied. I could see him smiling, "It's a long way to Tipperary!" "TO THE SWEETEST GIRL I KNOW!" We sang together. "Goodbye, Piccadilly,
Farewell, Leicester Square!" He sang. "It's a long long way to Tipperary." I felt tears in my eyes. "But my heart's right there!" We hummed together. Sure enough his voice drained away, I breathed deeply trying so hard not to cry. But something as confronting and heartbreaking as that I just let myself go.