The last bit.

"BILLY WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!" Dave burst into the house, his face flustered and sweaty. Kathy Sandow followed behind him. I looked up; my eyes filled with tears. Lawrie had his hand on my shoulder as Bee and Grace cried. "Jacko....um....Jacko ended it...." I blubbered. Dave went white; "Did you try and stop him William!?" He bellowed. "What do you reckon David?!" I rebutted. "Hey you two cut it out." Kathy yelled, slapping Dave's shoulder. "Not Jack...Why couldn't it have been me..." Dave started to cry. Lawrie and I jumped up and took him in our arms. Hamish hobbled in, throwing his crutches on the floor. "It's true oh shit its true." He collapsed and we hugged him too. We guided Dave and Hamish into the guest room where on the crisp white sheets the resting Jack lay. David took jacks hand, "G'day mate." Was all he could manage.
I think the time we realised Jack wasn't coming back was when Lawrie, Dave, Hamish and I carried the coffin up the hill to the church.
++
"Jack was the most amazing nman any of us had ever met. I ask myself everyday why God decided to take him and not me. We made it through the whole war but then it just wasn't over for Jacko. Why'd they take his contagious laugh...his crisp light blue eyes. Why'd his beautiful smile....the smile that Dave, Hamish, Lawrie and I woke up to every day for 4 and a bit years. The smile that made every thing ok. That smile that meant tomorrow was gonna come. Even when we were stuck on No mans land Jack would crack a joke and get us all smiling." My voice cracked as my eyes started to sting. The boys noticed and the stood up beside me. Hamish and Dave had their arms around my waist and Lawrie had his arms around Dave. "Life just won't be the same without Jacko. As he gripped my neck and I gripped his that day in the paddock he said 'Life Goes on Billy Nykiel even if it didn't for me.' Jack was right, he wouldn't want me or anyone to grieve him, he'd want you to remember his smile and him before the war took him. So remember Life Goes On. I'm gonna miss you Jacko....we all are." I stepped down from the stage, not letting go of Dave Hamish and Lawrie until we had to pick up the coffin again. Gracie gave me a look of 'stay strong' even though I knew I couldn't. As Jack rested upon my shoulder in his new resting place, as we trudged down the isle, I cried and cried. We had to stop A few times so we didn't collapse or something. It was all just a little too much.
"You rest now Jacko." I whispered as we laid the final piece of dirt.
++++++++
"TO JACK!" A drunk Dave raised his glass and we all cheered. "Billy." Grace tugged on my shirt. "Yes darling." I secured my arms around her waist. "I don't know if this is the right time to tell you." She stuttered.
"Don't worry ol girl just say it." I replied.
"Um....we're having a baby." She went bright red and my mouth gaped open. "Wait really?" I smiled for the first time in a few weeks.
"Yes Billy I'm sorry I shouldn't have said any-
"YES OH GRACE I CANT BELIEVE IT!" I cried picking Grace up and swirling her around.
"Oh Billy." She planted her lips on mine.
"Alright everyone I thought I'd lighten up this dull day. Now Jacko I know it's your day and everything and I don't want to steal your glory but I just need to tell the world." The crowd tuned in.
"My beautiful wife Grace and I having a baby." I announced. The crowd roared with happiness.
++++++++++++
{9 MONTHS LATER}
I gripped tight to our new little baby. His soft brown hair blowing gently in the soft breeze. Grace leant against me as we sat beneath the Big Trees shelter. She smiled up at me, both her and I still not believing it all. The baby smiled as I kissed it's forehead. Grace giggled, "Yes my beautiful bubba that's your dad." She tickled his chest. "Have I ever told you how much I love you." I whispered in Grace's ear. "Only every day." She kissed my lips passionately and I kissed back, falling in love all over again.
War had taken so many beautiful things. But it created something too.
A new name for Australia.
It bought Bee and Lawrie together. Yea it took my best friend. But now I hold my wife and my baby in my arms. Wondering how this was real. "Our baby. Ours." Grace whispered cupping it's head. "Yes my darling ours." I muttered. I suppose you're wondering what we called our special baby?
Well even if you weren't. We called our dark haired, blue eyed beautiful baby boy Jack.
+++++
World War 1 will never leave us. It still effects us every day. But Grace and I have a family, beautiful friends and a love that'll never ever die.

A/N: Thankyou to all of those who actually read this story. 😊