The First Letters....

Dear Grace,
I can tell you that I'm sick of the sea. But at least I have company. Jack, Dave and Hamish all play cards with me and go up on deck and play cricket. We've lost heaps of balls cause David is a big hitter. (All the boys just glared at him) Anyway, how's the girls? I miss them quite a bit, they remind me so much of mum. With their separate personalities and gorgeous smiles.

It's very exciting on the ship. Everyone is filled with anticipation, no one is scared or nervous. Weeks at sea isn't doing anyone any good though. We can't wait to get to where ever we are going so we can get some action.

Well, My beautiful girl I must dash. The sergeant has something to tell us and we mustn't be late.
Your smile lingers behind my eyes and your laughter rings in my ears.
Remember life goes on... And I'll love you forever.
Your soldier,
Billy.

📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝📝

Dear Billy,
I'm sure you are tired of sailing. But you do sound like you're having fun. You know what, the newspapers only report on British War Victories. But my favourite article said this, "POMS ASK COLONIALS FOR A HAND! DO THEY WANT IT? OF COURSE THEY DO!" I've kept it to show you when you return.

I went and saw your little sisters yesterday. They weren't their normal selves obviously. Even little Estella. Her and George seem to get a long pretty well. Maybe a little too well. But oh well. Hattie and I were reading 'The man from snowy river' banjos poem. She's a good at reciting, she has a bright future but we all knew that. Nancy and I went out and played the piano you have, she loved it. Meg and I cooked a beautiful meal for the boys and the girls. She laughs a lot but cried when she accidental asked you to lead them in 'meal time prayer'. Estella and I went to the big tree. She and I laughed and talked about all our memories with you.

I can't wait to find out what the sergeant had to say. I'll love you forever and I'll Seeya when you get home.
Forever and always,
Grace.