Odd days...

"Hey Mish!" I called running down the trench. "Yes Bill?" Hamish looked up from the letter from Meg. "Look at the photograph Grace sent me of your little girl." I handed him the photo, all the boys huddling round. Hamish's top lip quivered. "Are you crying Mish?" Dave asked. "No...oh alright I missed it I missed the birth of my daughter." He blubbered angrily. I smiled sympathetically. "I know for a fact Meg will understand." I reassured him. "That's not what I'm worried about, I wanna be there for the baby and Meg I can't just sit back and fight a war while my little baby grows every day." Hamish stood up and yelled. "Settle down Private Waters!" Jack told him. "WHATS THE POINT!" Hamish bellowed, a crack evolved into the air. And Hamish came toppling back. "Shit HAMISH!" We screamed rushing to his side................

Dear Bill, Dave and Jack,
I'm alright. The nurses are sending me home soon.
I caught a few to the leg as you know and they said the best option was amputation. That means no more footy for a while. Or cricket. Or walking. Well, the doctor said he might have a fake leg for me later on. But I don't know anything anymore.
I hate to leave you blokes. I'm gonna miss you all. Stay safe mates.
My brothers in arms,
You're brother,
Mish.

"Well at least we know he's okay." Jack sighed, loading his rifle. "Yea Well." Dave turned and lit a cigarette against the wind. "I wanna go home." I frowned, closing my eyes. "Everyone wants to go home mate." Jack said, leaning against the trench wall. "I'm sick of this I've had enough! A man has his limits and mine are hard to reach but boy o boy has this reached it!" Dave yelled. "Private Dickson pull your head in!" The sergeant yelled. "C'mom boys that's enough." I said poking my eyes above the parapet. "BILLY PUT YOUR BLOODY HEAD DOWN!" Jack ripped me down. "This isn't a game mate." He told me. "Hand me a rifle." I ordered. "Did you not hear what I just said?!" Jack stated. "Jack hand me a bloody rifle." Jack was a little taken back but handed me his gun. I positioned myself up to the peep hole. "Got chya mate." I mumbled, looking at the Turkish sniper who was ready to shoot. BANG! "Bingo!" I whispered as the man dropped his gun and lay limp in the scrub. Dave and Jack were silent. "What?!" I asked. "You could have been the one to take his bullet." I stated. They relaxed after that.