Gallipoli...its...its...its over!

<DECEMBER 6TH 1915>•
~BILLY~
"Billy Dave did ya hear?" Lawrie smiled, as he and Jack came back from the beach. "Nope, what's happened?" Dave asked blowing out his smoke. "We're leaving on the 8th they've got it all booked in!" Jack squealed. The breath hitched in my throat, "W-What?!" "Yeah but we're retreating so we gotta be dead quiet or it's gonna end very badly." Lawrie explained. "We're leaving Billy we're getting out of here!" Dave looked like he could cry, he flung his arms around me and we cheered.
++++
~GRACE~
{DECEMBER 8TH}
I slumped down into my deck chair when the girls and I finished our shift at around 11 pm that night, "Ahh I don't think I could survive without my chair." I said cheekily. Kathy and Caroline laughed, "Ahh Sister Craig I don't think we'd still be smiling if we didn't have you." Kathy laughed. "Aww thanks Kath." I giggled. "GIRLS GIRLS WE MADE IT WE DID IT OH GOD WE DID IT!" Bee had tears of joy pouring from her eyes. "Bee what's happened?" I rose to my feet. "THE CAMPAIGN IS OVER WE'RE LEAVING! THE ANZAC'S RETREATED!" She exclaimed dropping to her knees. I could hardly breathe, "How many men did we loose?" Caroline asked. "NONE! NOT ONE MAN THEY'RE ALL SAFE!" Bee gripped my shoulders. I started crying, "Gallipoli...it's...its...it's over..." I blubbered. "It's over Gracie, Gallipoli's over." She drew me close to her as I bawled. I pulled away and bolted to the ward tent. "ITS OVER BOYS GALLIPOLI'S OVER!" I announced, cheers arose into the night.
+++
"So where to next ladies?" Caroline asked, as we lay in the dark. "France I think, the kiwi boys said it's something of a hotspot." Kathy replied, her New Zealand accent very broad. "I've always wanted to go to France, and Paris oh the city of love!" Bee swooned. "Ooo Lawrie!" I wolf whistled. The girls laughed a different laugh. A happy, relieved laugh. "Maybe it's ending." Caroline stated. "I'll be able to go home and lay my head on my pillow beside my Billy, not worrying about a bomb or a wound I forgot to treat or if my brothers are ok." I closed my eyes. "Oh I can't wait." Bee sighed. "Who knows Maybe I'll meet someone in France." Kathy said. As one by one, the girls fell asleep, I starred into the darkness just thinking;
FLASHBACK TO 1914
Dancing across the old wooden floor of the hall, there wasn't a care in the world. "Hello Mrs Martindale!" I waved as Billy whirled me around. "Good evening Miss Craig!" She smiled a sad smile back. "She lost her youngest." Billy whispered. "The baby?" I asked, concerned. "Yes the baby." He replied. "He was so cute." I said sadly. "I know, keep dancing you're missing a step!" He laughed spinning me around. Martindale hall was huge, I felt so insignificant dancing in its ballroom but I Completely forgot about everything, it was just me and Billy. Suddenly the room fell silent, Billy stopped dancing and so did I. "Is everything alright?" I asked, confused. Billy smiled, he looked at Tom, Charlie, George, Henry, Estella, Hatty and Nancy and they grinned back goofily. Billy took my hands and got down on one knee, the town cheered. "Grace June Rose Craig.... the love of my life...will you marry me?" Billy's eyes looked up at me pleadingly. I cupped his face in my hands, and nodded slowly, "Yes...yes YES BILLY NYKIEL YES YES YES!" I flew into his arms and he picked my up swirling me around. I leant down and kissed his soft, chapped lips.
+++++END OF FLASHBACK+++++
{BILLY}
My darling Grace,
Lawrie, Jack, Dave and I didn't leave the peninsula straight away. We were the last four ANZAC's on Gallipoli. The last four allies, four up against the entire Turkish army. But I wasn't nervous. I felt very safe, almost like the souls in heaven were looking after us.
Our job was to man the drip guns. The new invention to help us evacuate. We each took turns to whistle down the trench and a Turk would fire and I'd get him. We laughed a lot that night, cause none of us feared death. For the first time in a long time. We almost dreaded having to leave, all the boys were in the boat first. I stood on the beach, and I'm ashamed to say my darling, but I wept. I wept for the lost boys, for the name Australia has made but I wept for the memories that shall never leave. But we still yelled "CATCH YA LATER JOHNNY TURK!" And boy it echoed. We are landing in Cairo in 16 days, as are you. Thought we could meet up for Christmas. 5 long months my darling...
So now I lean on the railing of a boat, watching the waves bash the sides, praying to god I'll see you in France, underneath the Eiffel Tower. Anyway, Au revoir pour l'instant mon amour, Je vais vous voir bientôt. (Bye for now my love, I shall see you soon)
Forever yours,
Billy Nykiel.
++++++++++••
~Back in Cairo~
"Welcome back Sisters but the ship leaves in two hours." Head Matron Gill informed. "But Matron our boys are in Cairo!" Bee said, tiredly. "Sister Ollington if you want to get to France you are to put your intimate feelings behind you and be a professional." Matron scolded. I rolled my eyes as she walked away, "Bloody Poms." I whispered. "And if you think I didn't here that Sister Craig you're very wrong!" She pointed a boney finger at me and I smiled a toothless annoyed sarcastic smile.
After being shown to our old rooms and packing our bags, I placed my hat on my head and pulled on my grey coat. "Where are you going we've still got ages!?" Bee sat up quickly. "Are you coming?" I asked, looking at her with my 'seriously' eyes. "Yep." Bee replied jumping up without anymore questions. I chuckled, and we ran down the stairs arm in arm.