Billy's little sisters

"Billy!" His 11 year old sister Nancy squealed wrapping her arms around her brother. Billy picked her up and kissed her soft cheek. "G'day Billy!" Estella, his rebellious 13 year old sister smiled, Billy raised his hand in greeting. "Again Stella? You ripped your skirt again?" 18 year old Meg complained. Estella giggled and tugged at her torn skirt, "Sorry Meg I was climbing the Big Tree with George Craig and a few of the other boys then went and helped them with footy practise. it's difficult with a skirt." "Harriet time for tea darlin!" Billy called. Thud thud thud down the hallway came 16 year old Hattie. She slid into the kitchen as her socks picked up every inch of dirt on the way. Billy watched as all his little sisters went about their evening lives. Nancy humming a tune, Estella dancing and singing 'it's along way to Tipperary' at the top of her lungs, Hattie placing the cups down, making each one clink a different way, and Meg gently placing hot pans on the table. He stayed seated, "Want some?" Hattie offered him the bread. "I'm good thanks." He replied...

Billy waited till each of his sisters had their mouths stuffed and the room was quiet. "Girls I have something to tell you." He began. "What is it Bill?" Estella asked with her mouth full. "Well...I'm going away for awhile..." Billy continued. "Ooo where?" Hattie asked intrigued. Meg knew instantly, she glared at him. "To a far away place over the seas to fight some bad people." Billy said. The girls eyes widened, Estella even spat her food out. "Excuse me?!" She said shocked. "Are you telling us you're going to the war?" She exclaimed. "Yes Stella I'm going to the war." Billy sighed. Meg rose and walked out of the room, she saw this coming. Hattie didn't move, Nancy started to cry a little but Estella just frowned. "How could you do this?" She asked angrily. "Stella we all have to do our bit for our country weather it's planting trees or fighting in a war so that's why I had to." Billy explained. "You'll be here when Mum gets back right?" Nancy mumbled. Billy gave Nancy a sympathetic look, "Nancy Rose how many times do we need to tell you that Mum isn't coming home!" Hattie yelled. "Harriet don't yell at her!" Estella ordered. Hattie glared at them and walked out. Nancy got up and walked outside to the backyard. That was her thinking spot.

About five minutes of silence passed. "I still love you Billy." Estella mumbled. "I know." Billy sighed. "I'm gonna miss you." She whispered a tear running down her cheek. "Me too all of you!" Billy replied. "Meg will yell if I rip my dress she doesn't when you're around." Estella stuttered. Billy looked at his sister and rose from his seat. He walked over and picked her up in his strong arms, her head on his shoulder as she cried. He rocked her, just like when she was a baby. "Shhh Stella everything's gonna be alright..." He reassured. "Can you do something for me?" He asked, Stella nodded. "Will you look after Grace for me." "I will Billy I will." She whispered gripping tighter to his shirt.