No Worries except mail

I sat in my deck chair under the Lemnos sun with the other ill nurses. We were recovering and I was ready for work but matron wouldn't let me. "Kathy Sandow I thought I heard the mail call!" I announced with a smile, not rolling over. "Sister Markham, Sister Ollington where is Bee?" She looked around. "Sorry oh goodness." She snatched the letter and wiped her mouth. She cringed and went back inside. "Sister Wilson, Sister Peters, Sister Quinn and Sister Williams." Kathy grinned. She walked over to me, "I'm sure there's loads of unsorted mail in Cairo." She smiled sympathetically. "Nobody likes me everybody hates me think I'm gonna eat some worms." I singsonged sadly. "FAT ONES SKINNY ONES LONG ONES SHORT ONES WATCH THEM SQUIGGLE AND SQUIRM!" Kathy's chorus trailed off as she skipped away. I sighed, "C'mon now Sister Craig, chin up." Matron smiled. "How's my Billy?" I asked sadly. "He's doing very well he's walking now his speech is still slurred but he's getting there." She replied. Tears brimmed in my eyes, "I don't want him to go back to Gallipoli." I spluttered. "I know but he's done it once he'll be able to do it again." Matron looked at her clipboard. "But he shouldn't have to!" I raised my voice. "Grace you're miserable there's nothing else to it. You're sick of it here...so am I....but we mustn't give in we still have a long road ahead of us but it shall be successful." She patted my shoulder. "I haven't had any mail from Australia I don't know if my brothers are ok I don't know if Billy's gonna live IF IM GONNA LIVE if this entire war is even worth it I'm living in the unknown matron." I burst into tears. "We all are." Was her simple reply as she walked away. "MATRON! Wait!" I yelled. "Yes Sister Craig?" She spun around. "Can you send Billy over here please?" I asked politely. She nodded, unenthusiastically. I closed my eyes, trying to imagine something beautiful or just the day a letter comes for me. I could have fallen asleep but I didn't. I never slept. "G'day old girl." A soft voice muttered. My eyes shot open. His beautiful green eyes shone back at me, his concerned smile was enigmatic but the sweetest I'd ever seen. A tear trickled quietly down my face. He whipped it away and stroked my hair. "You're gonna b-be a-alr-right." He whispered. I nodded against his hand that held my cheek. "We're gonna get h-home I prom-mise." He whispered. I could tell all the other nurses were swooning over our love and they should be jealous cause Billy and My story would be the next 'defeat all odds' but we didn't know that yet. "I love you so much William Nykiel." "I l-love you m-more Grace Craig." His lips hit mine and honestly I didn't care who saw. Matron did say we were all miserable so we all need a pick up.
+++++
FOUR DAYS LATER
+++++
"You coming to work today you lazy sod?" Bee questioned tickling me at 4:30 the next morning. "Yea Bee what about you?" I asked. "Course I can't miss a day without seeing my beautiful Lawrie. "No I guess not." I chuckled. ••
We stumbled into the ward tent. Our lanterns above our head. "This is as close as we're gonna get to being the lady with the lamp Bee make the most of it." I whispered with a grin. Bee snorted with laughter making me laugh. I quickly turned to a patient so I wouldn't laugh. "Good morning Private." I smiled. "Why are you nurses up so early?" He asked groggily. "Welcome to the joys of hospital hours Private Jones." I informed. "So where do ya hurt?" I asked. "Me shoulder." He said. "English please Private I do not work on patients with bad grammar." I crossed my arms playfully. "Don't listen to her she's crazy!" A familiar voice stated. I laughed, "And you're not Private Nykiel?" I replied. "Fair point." Bill replied. Private Jones laughed, "You two know each other?" He asked. Billy held up his hand in the dim light, "Engaged." He pointed to the ring. "Ohh where's yours sister?" Private Jones asked. "Well now Private Jones you wouldn't want my beautiful engagement ring in your wound now would you? As a matter of fact I wouldn't either." We chuckled. "Now where does it hurt private?" I repeated. "My shoulder Sister Craig." Private Jones said. "Good!" I said, and we laughed.
+++++++++
"There is a land where summer skies, Are gleaming with a thousand dyes, Blending in witching harmonies ; And grassy knoll and forest height,  Are flushing in the rosy light,
And all above is azure bright  Australia Australia!" I sang skipping down the duckboard with a handful of linen. "There is a land where honey flows, Where laughing corn luxuriant grows, Land of the myrtle and the rose ; On hill and plain the clust'ring vine Is gushing out with purple wine, And cups are quaffed to thee and thine Australia! Australia!" Bee continued following behind me. "I do not rememBER the rest!" I laughed. "Keep singing Sisters!" I heard a soldier call. "Don't know the rest of the song!" I replied. We heard him laugh heartily. "Your voices sisters....it's a touch of home." Billy breathed out a puff of his smoke. "What are you doing out of bed Mr?!" I questioned. "Seeing if I could still do it." He held up the cigarette. "Oh of course." I rolled my eyes. "Good afternoon." We spun around and saw Lawrie who had rolled out in a wheel chair. "Like my new wheels?" He asked with a grin. "You finally got one!" Bee cheered hugging him. "Are they?" "Yep." I replied to a confused Billy. "Oh Billy this is Lawrence Deakin. He was by your side the entire voyage from Gallipoli and when you got here." Bee explained putting her hand on Lawrie's shoulder. Billy took a step back, his eyes were wide, "Well I'll be...." He said shocked. "Looks like I owe this bloke here a smoke and a thankyou." Billy pulled out a packet of Pre-rolled cigarettes. "Ah no worries mate couldn't do much myself." Lawrie shook Billy's hand. "Well mate I hope we keep in touch." Billy lit the smoke and Handed it to Lawrie. "Well we'll leave you boys to it we are still on duty." I poked my tongue out at Billy and he returned it. But he kissed my cheek as we walked away. "Our boy hey? Best around." Bee sighed. "You've got that right." I smiled. I looked at Bee; "THERE IS A LAND OF SUNNY SKIES..