Chapter 8 - Attracted to junk.

Jay sat down on the bed and got really close to the piece, so close, he could now make out little, tiny gears inside it. Then he repeated the spell,

Alovium.” He kept his eyes fixed on the junk. Nothing happened again, but Jay was determined to get this spell right. So he kept his eyes in contact and shouted loudly. “ALOVIUM!”

The piece of junk turned over on the bed and Jay knew that this time the spell had worked. He lifted his hand, pointed at the junk piece then swung his hand to point at the other side of the bed. Jay looked back and saw the scrap levitating off the bed, then it started bouncing in the air towards the other side, where it floated lightly down.

He’d made a scrap piece of metal float elegantly across a room…

“Wow,” he squealed with excitement, calming himself down and glancing to the sky in case the God was still watching.

Then he started pointing his hand at different points in the room, and each time he did so, the piece of junk would follow.

But then, after about a minute of pinging from place to place, the piece of junk decided it was worn out and dropped to the bed in between darting from the lamp to the cupboard.

Jay sighed as it tumbled to a stop. Then he started controlling the other pieces of junk, making them fly across the room like fireworks. Smiling immaturely like some mad scientist.

Then, by pure accident, he made two pieces collide, and the shape they took was like the centre of a shield. So that’s when he began his first stage to making his first ever weapon.

Something amazing that everyone at the hideout would look at and say how good it was and how they’d love to have one.

Jay spent the remainder of the week either building his shield, learning spells (just remembering the words because he could never actually perform them, even the ones he had done in the squally ball match for some reason), playing squally ball or discovering the rest of the camp.

By the end of the week he had become rank two in squally ball (there was a chart in the stands that had everyone’s names on with loads of coloured spots next to them. Jordan had told him that the amount of spots you had depended on how good you were at the game. He told him that the actual court recognises different people and adds their name to the sheet plus marking them up with coloured dots. At the moment Jay was rank two, Philippa and Hollie were both at rank twelve, show-offs!).

Shield wise, Jay had completed the actual shape of the shield and had started putting spells on it using his books. The ones in there, like the hardening spell etcetera, he found easy to perfect for some reason. He had had to use the spell: ‘Dublicatius’, because he had been running out of junk, so his spell using knowledge had gone up a lot.

He had started practising spells with Jordan and Philippa because of the quest they were supposed to be doing, but the only thing he could really do was the spell gone wrong spell, or like Jay liked to call it, the call for help spell, as it sent random sparks of light in all directions uncontrollably. Safety was at the bottom of the list.

Then, on a Sunday afternoon, Amy came up to him whilst he was dazing up into the sky and doing his usual ‘what a life I have now’ hour of pondering.