7 - "You're too good for him."

Chapter 7 -  "You're too good for him."

I woke up Saturday morning to another message from Matt, despite not replying to his previous one.

- I was so drunk last night. Please forgive me. I was an idiot. I love you loads xxxxxx 

The 'I was drunk' excuse. It was such a classic, one that everyone used when they wanted to excuse their actions. More than anything, though, it was cowardly.  

While thinking of a response, I got dressed, had breakfast and brushed my teeth. It was nearing midday and just as I was about to tap out a reply to Matt, the doorbell rang. Shoving my phone in my pocket, I went to answer it.

As I pulled open the door, I came face to face with Nathan. Strangely enough, I didn't even feel surprised to see him on my doorstep.  

"You're a stalker who should be locked up," I told him, going to shut the door again. He stopped me from doing so by simply placing the palm of his hand flat against it. There was no way I could battle against his strength.  

"I was only coming to see if you were okay after last night," he said, feigning hurt and giving me sad eyes.  

"I'm fine." 

"And, well, because you promised me that we'd do something this weekend," he quickly added, shooting me a grin.  

"I actually remember telling you I was busy." 

"Yeah, but that was a lie... Have you heard from Matt?" 

"Yeah, he just messaged me," I replied. "I should be more concerned at you randomly turning up at my house." 

"But you're not," he said. "Luckily for me."

I sighed and folded my arms, leaning against the doorframe. 

"I'm asking for one day, Bella," he said, his face softening. "It's not gonna kill you. Do you actually have anything better to do other than texting your boyfriend, who is probably begging for forgiveness right now?" 

He was trying. Really trying. And if he was so keen to make an effort with me, maybe I should try to make an effort with him, too. Besides, judging by his phone conversation last night, he hadn't had the best evening, either. 

"Also... I want to prove I can be just a friend. I'll get to know you, you'll get to know me, and we can leave all the other stuff behind."

"Fine," I said, slipping on some shoes and grabbing my keys from the bowl beside the door. "One day. Let's see how it goes. But this is about friendship only, okay?" 

He beamed at this, and I got the impression that no task was too big for Nathan. Wherever we were going involved driving but I was relieved to discover that Nathan was a safe driver who didn't feel the need to show off. At seventeen and eighteen, a lot of boys at school had just passed their test and seemed to think that driving dangerously was somehow a demonstration of their skills. Far from it. 

"So, was I right? Did he text you?" Nathan asked when we stopped at a red light.  

"Yeah. Begging for forgiveness. Just like you said..." 

"Now you have the upper hand. Tell him exactly how you feel." 

"I don't know... I don't wanna be the one causing problems." 

"Since when was honesty a problem? Come on, Bella. My advice worked last time, didn't it?" 

I sighed. That was true. I took out my phone and re-read Matt's latest text. Then I typed out what I truly wished to say.