23 - "You send my body crazy."

Chapter 23 - "You send my body crazy."

"So..." Jess said, drawing out the word, as we met up at school on Wednesday morning in front of the lockers.

I could tell what was coming; it would be another flood of questions. She knew I'd been on a date with Nathan, if that's what we were calling it, and she was keen to find out how things had progressed.

"Just come out with it," I said. "You want to know what went down between Nathan and me last night."

"Well, now you mention it..."

I smiled at her lack of subtlety. "It was nice."

"What specifically was nice?"

Jess was a meticulous student, always getting the highest marks by never omitting the slightest bit of detail. She applied the same practice to her social life as well.

"The date," I said. "It was really nice."

"So... Did he make a move?" She grinned, waggling her eyebrows up and down. Clearly she already suspected that he had, otherwise she wouldn't have been so excited about it.

I paused. "We kissed."

She gasped, her eyes widening with excitement. "Like, for real this time?"

"Yeah, for real."

"How was it?"

I didn't want to sound gushy but I couldn't help but smile. "It was amazing, Jess. Like, seriously amazing."

She grinned. "So are you official now?"

I'd been asking myself that same question a lot last night. We were acting like a couple, but did that mean we were actually in a relationship? Did we need that kind of clarification?

We'd agreed that I was ready to move on, but did he have to officially ask me out? Nathan and I had never labelled our relationship at any part of getting to know one another. When acquaintances seemed too distant, friends seemed too close. When we then became closer, friends seemed too inadequate and yet more than friends seemed too intimate. We'd never had a clear label of what we were to one another at any stage of our progressing relationship. It had almost gone without saying that what we'd had was deeper than a simple label.

"Well, between you and me, I think we're official. I just don't want more gossip to start. It's only just stopped from the last scandal."

"I reckon people will love it," she said. 

"Of course they will. People love gossip in general."

"No, it's more because everyone hates Matt and Katrina at the moment."

"Jess, I doubt anyone cares enough to hate them. They just enjoyed the drama."

"Ooh, speak of the devil," Jess said, her eyes looking past me. "Want some privacy?" she then asked me sneakily with a smirk.

I smirked back, after glancing over my shoulder to see Nathan approaching us. "If it will stop you teasing," I told her.

"Morning." Nathan smiled at both of us. He placed his hand gently on my lower back in greeting but then removed it almost instantly. "Mind if we have a quick chat, Bella?"

"Sure," I replied, quickly depositing the rest of my belongings into my locker before hurriedly shutting the door. "Want to go to the library? It'll be quiet there."

The library was only around the corner so I didn't have too much time to stress over possibilities of what Nathan wanted. As soon as we got there, I shut the door and launched into conversation.