Engagement

With no guests the palace was quiet. It seemed like a lonely, cold place to live. I shuddered to think I would be living here for the remainder of my life.

"Come, we must not keep the king waiting," Veer urged, making me turn to the left to a room I had not seen.

Lin was sitting at a table built for two. When we stepped into the room, he stood and walked quickly over to us, taking my hand from Veer's. He was dressed in a black robe with a silver lining around the collar and sleeves. Around his neck was a gold evil eye. His hair was slicked back like usual but a few blond strands hung in his face. He smiled at me and pressed his cool lips against my knuckles.

"Melanie, my dear, it is so wonderful to see you. I hope you are feeling better?" He straightened back to his full height, his smile not disappearing.

I curtsied. "I am well, Your Highness, thank you for asking. I hope you are in good health as well."

He chuckled and rubbed his chest where the arrow had pierced. "Thanks to you, I am alive. If it had not been for your quick thinking I may not be here."

It is a shame I panicked and called for help, I thought spitefully.

[Now, now, that is not ladylike,] Rayi reproved.

"You flatter me, my king, I would do anything to preserve your life." I simpered.

"You may call me Lin, my dear lady; I would like to think we are beyond such formalities." He walked me over to the table. Veer bowed and quietly excused himself. The guard from the carriage parked himself in a corner behind me.

Lin pulled my chair out for me, which I gracefully sat in, thanking him as he pushed the chair in for me. "If it pleases Your Majesty, I will address him by his birth name."

He sat across from me, chuckling. "Relax, Melanie; you seem tense. I do not bite."

I smiled edgily, taking a greedy sip from my wine glass. He reclined in his chair, studying me with his yellow eyes. His pupils were dilated, almost as round as a human's. I fidgeted under his scrutiny. He sighed and clucked his tongue.

"Still looking down, I see. You certainly are timid."

Self-consciously, I reached up and touched my hair.

"When is your birthday?" He suddenly asked.

"O-October 26, Your Majesty," I murmured, clasping my hands together.

"Late in the year," he mused. "My birthday is January 13."

"I shall remember that date fondly." I was disturbed how quickly I fell into the role of a sycophant. Father had taught me well.

Lin looked charmed. "You are such a dear."

The food arrived, souls and, surprisingly, fruit from the Human World. I recognized strawberries from when William all but shoved one down my throat, but the others weren't familiar. When I first tasted it I accused him of trying to poison me, unused to the bitter taste of something I associated with sweetness. He insisted it was safe, his lips quirked up in that infuriating smirk, but I refused to try anymore. I watched Lin take a small, dark purple, round fruit and place it in his mouth. He chewed and swallowed.

Seeing my rapt attention on the fruit before me, he chuckled and said, "Go ahead; the fruit will not harm you."

I smiled sheepishly and grabbed the round fruit he had just eaten. "What is this called?"

"A grape. Try it: it is very sweet." He coaxed, grabbing a handful of grapes and popping them into his mouth.

Cautiously, I placed the grape on my tongue and chewed. It was sweet and juicy. I smiled at the taste. Delighted by my reaction, Lin grabbed a red fruit and held it out to me. I grimaced inwardly when I recognized it as a strawberry. "Try this one now. It is called a strawberry. It is not sweet like the grape, but I find its taste to be very pleasing to the palate nonetheless."