Etiquette

"Spine straight, chin high. Yes, yes, good. Elongate that neck, Your Grace! Do not forget to keep those shoulders back!"

My shoulders were stiff and if my spine became any straighter I would snap it in half. I had been perfecting my posture for at least three hours. After lunch, I would sit with Lin in the throne room to hear the plights of wealthy noblemen and peasants alike. Father would be there as well.

Currently, an older demoness was attempting to refine my posture after seeing me slouch once. She looked to be close to 11,000 years of age with streaks of silver in her chocolate brown hair.

"My dear lady," I sighed, "should I elongate my neck further I fear my head will roll off my shoulders!"

Hawk-like eyes narrowed at me. "Do not get saucy with me, girl. I have taught Lin's mother and her mother before her. Show your elder respect!"

I hid a snort of laughter behind a cough. She was older than I believed. She gave me a sharp rap with her hand against my spine, causing me to straighten further. My vertebrae protested in response.

Amnon stood beside the door. I could see his ruby eyes glowing behind his helm. He had yet to change out of his armor and my curiosity of what he looked like under all that heavy steel grew with each passing day. He stood so still I often wondered if he had turned into a statue, but then he would shuffle his feet to keep his blood flowing.

The demoness tapped the underside of my chin. "Head up!"

One of the servants scurried in, bowing low. "Pardon the interruption, Madame Estelle, but lunch is ready."

Madame Estelle waved a dismissive hand at the servant. "Very well. We shall continue with your lessons tomorrow morning at the same time, Your Highness. You are excused."

I gathered my skirt on either side and curtsied. "Thank you, Madame Estelle, I wish you a most pleasant day."

"And to you as well."

Releasing my skirt, I turned and made for the door the servant stood by. As I passed my shadow, I said, "Come, Amnon."

He obediently trailed after me until he walked by my side as we followed the servant down corridor after corridor. The Persian rug was soft beneath my bare feet, which I had successfully managed to conceal from Madame Estelle. I shared a knowing look with Amnon's helm as he snickered. He had slipped the shoes I was supposed to be wearing into the satchel fastened to his hip beside his longsword.

We got to the entrance of the Dining Hall where Father and Lin stood, chatting amiably with each other. I approached the two as Amnon took his place by five of the other Royal Guards who lined the walls of the Hall. He grunted at them in their native tongue. The two Optima stopped speaking when I drew near, both with different expressions when they heard my feet slap against the tiled floor. Father's was a mix of horror and anger, while Lin simply looked amused.

"I see you have forgone shoes today again, Melanie," Lin stated, glancing down where the tips of my toes peeked out from under my skirt.