Emperor

Melanie

The weight on my back disappeared as did the chill of the scythe against the back of my neck. I looked over my shoulder to see Zane standing over me, his cestuses bloody. His right hand clenched something.

"Oh, no, it looks like you've lost your arm!" he exclaimed, looking at Luke with wide eyes.

I glanced over at Luke, and his right arm was indeed gone, looking like it had been twisted off. He gripped the stump, his white eyes narrowed. Zane then lifted the mangled limb for him to see. "I have found it, though! I suppose you can have it back."

He tossed it over to the angel and wiped his cestuses on his trousers. I rolled onto my back carefully and propped myself up on my elbows. "Z-Zane, how did you-"

"Kopa. He sensed Rayi's distress and thought we should investigate." He answered shortly, glancing at me out of the corner of his eye. His eyes darkened when he took in my injuries. "Fine mess you've gotten yourself into: the Angels of Life and Death? Really?"

I sent him a withered scowl. "It's not like I went looking for them."

"You bastard!" William's face was contorted with rage.

Zane turned his attention to Will, blinking at him like he had not noticed him. "What, his injury? He should be able to re-attach it...or are you angels incapable of even that much?"

William blurred and appeared in front of me and Zane, his arm alight. There was a flash of black and a thud. My sister, Mikayla, had made her appearance. Her high heels struck him in the side. She forced him back, and he had to take a moment to catch his breath. She spun around to glare at me disdainfully.

"Honestly, are you so weak you are incapable of completing a contract without almost getting killed?" She growled, tossing her glossy hair over her shoulder.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "As I just finished telling Zane, I did not go seeking these two out. The Angel of Life intimidated my Summoner and he refused to send me back."

She scoffed before turning her back on me to keep an eye on Luke and William. Luke was reattaching his arm, his eyes never leaving us. William rubbed his side where Mikayla had knocked him back.

"Luke, who are these two?" he demanded.

Luke stood back up, experimentally rolling his arm in its socket. "I am not familiar with them; they must be young, too. We cannot let any of them escape. Our first target is too injured to move, and her injuries cannot regenerate without aid."

Zane lifted his fists to his face, hunkering his body into his signature stance. He danced lightly from one foot to the other. "Mikayla, take Mels and get through the portal. I'll hold them off."

Mikayla pouted. "No fair, you get all the fun! Can you not handle the weakling?"

As she became distracted, Luke shot toward her. Zane placed himself between the two, blocking Luke's scythe with the back of his hand. His arm shook with the effort of holding the weapon at bay, his face set grimly. "Because you do not have a weapon to deal with this one! I can touch his weapon without the risk of frostbite. Now quit your bitching and go!"

Scowling once more, she scooped me up and sprinted for the portal. I peeked over her slender shoulder to see William in pursuit. A slab of rock formed behind us, shooting several feet into the air. The Archangel clambered to the top of the wall, his wings outstretched, but he was too late. Mikayla jumped through the portal, and the familiar smell of Hell filled my nose.

Grumbling under her breath about what a nuisance I was, she walked into the city. I noticed she was not walking in the direction of home.

"Where are we going?" I asked warily, resting my head against her shoulder. I was beginning to feel the effects of my injuries and blood loss made my head swim.