Admittance

Something had changed between me and William since my last visit. There was a tension, not quite unlike the kind that existed when we first met. He seemed on edge around me again and I thought I knew why.

We sat across from each other, his long legs stretched out while I curled mine into my chest. He would not meet my eye and I noticed while he did not have his sword, he had a dagger.

[He is going to finally make his move,] Rayi said flatly.

Conversationally, I said, "Did you speak to my Summoner the night before?"

His head shot up and his eyes widened. "What?"

"Come now, angel, you do me a disservice if you did not think I would smell you. I know you saw me. Did you speak with her?"

"I did," he said as he sat straighter.

I sent him a thin-lipped smile. "I am surprised you did not attempt to kill me then. I killed another human. He was scum but he was human."

"The girl told me what he had done to her. She pleaded with me not to hurt you. I said I would not unless you attacked first. I saw...you give her his heart. I heard what you said to her, I saw your face. You were angry."

"Of course I was angry," I spat, "why would I not be? He was her father and he hurt her in the worst possible way. No one deserves that."

The fury I felt the night before returned and I clenched my fists until my nails bit into my palm. William watched me with a leveled look. "Even now it enrages you. That right there is why I do not understand you. Any other demon would have taken advantage of her. They would have demanded her soul but you asked for a book?"

His words stabbed at me. Unbidden memories of my father beating me each time I failed to act like a demon forced themselves to the surface. I glared at my knees. Through gritted teeth, I replied, "I behave like any other demon."

"No, you do not. Where you could be cruel you are kind. Where you should be ugly you are beautiful. Were it not for your eyes I would mistake you for human." He murmured.

[Oh, Lucifer. Did he just say what I think he did?]

My face heated up and I brought my hands to my cheeks. He looked sincere and I did not think he even realized what he had said. "Y-yes, I suppose my eyes are disconcerting."

"That is one word for them. For a long time, I was afraid to meet your gaze, certain that you could kill me with a single look. They are frightening but you would not be you without them." His words suddenly caught up to him and his breath caught in his throat.

My heart raced and I could not stop thinking of the compliment. "You think I am beautiful?"

William cleared his throat and glanced up at the sky. It was overcast and the threat of snow loomed over us. We could see our breath. I burrowed further into my furs. "I suppose I did say that, there is no point in denying it. Yes, I do. Nothing more to it."

I could not suppress the sinking feeling of disappointment from his words. Rayi derided, [No good would come out of a relationship with an angel, girl. Best to kill those feelings.]

I knew that of course, but I still could not help but to hope he would come around. The conversation was too heavy, however. I told him about the dinner with the king, curious about what his reaction would be. He did not disappoint. He scowled when I mentioned Lin's seeming interest in me.

"A king, huh? I suppose there is no one else more worthy than that. I am surprised you allowed him to touch you."

"Well, I could not smack his hand away; he is the king. He could order me drawn and quartered if he so desired." I replied dryly.