Traps

Melanie

Each time I went back to the Human World, a basket of rolls awaited me. Each time he was too slow to catch me as I simply grabbed it and ran. And each time I grew more irate at the waste of food. He was becoming impatient as well. The last time, he revealed himself too soon and I left the basket. I was beginning to notice the burnt bushes and trees, likely the result of a temper tantrum. It was as amusing as it was annoying. If I frustrated him so much, why did he not give up? Even Death did not hound me and I suspected his loathing ran deeper than William's.

Something needed to change. I could not keep going through the same portal and stay in the Human World no longer than a few minutes.

I found another portal in the Fourteenth Legion. It was a bit of a walk, but the portal would lead to a different section in the Human World. I would need to take care I did not forget where it was in case William found me, though.

The portal opened to a sea of tall grass. The lack of cover made me uneasy, but I was too desperate for a longer drink of this wonderful world than I was given. The positive I was familiar with this area. The negative was it was not as far from the forest portal as I would like.

It was nighttime and bright stars twinkled in the infinite sky. I realized gleefully I could stay as long as I wanted to with my eyes suited to dark and murk.

I lied hidden in the grass and stargazed. I breathed the cool air deeply as my thoughts wandered to William.

I was frightened of him, more from our last physical encounter than his foolish attempts to trap me. When he tried to choke the life of me and his brother almost killed me. Most of the events were a blur with everything happening so fast, but certain things stuck out to me. The hesitance in his eyes when he held me aloft, crushing my throat. He could have easily ripped my head off and be done with it, but I saw him turn green while he held me. For as violent as he was, he still could not kill me with his hands. I had no doubt if I appeared less humanoid he could do it. Then, when Death leaned his weight on me and crushed me into the dirt, I thought I heard him say something in uncertainty before Death harshly rebuked him.

While I feared him, I did not hate him. I imagined he would have let me leave again had Death not been present. The white-haired angel was a bad influence. I scowled. Him I did hate. There was cruelty in his actions, like a cat playing with a half-dead mouse. Most of what he did was unnecessary and for sport.

I would not pretend I knew William's intentions, but part of me doubted he lacked the resolve to kill me even now.

[So what? You believe the baskets are gifts of goodwill?] Rayi snorted.

"No. He likely would call to me if he wished to speak. He wants me dead. I think...I hurt his pride."

She laughed and I clarified, "He is powerful. I doubt any demon before has eluded him. I frustrate him as much as he frustrates me. I want to live in peace and he denies me that."

[Perhaps you are right. Or, perhaps it is because he does not leave jobs half finished.]

I conceded she had a point and resumed stargazing. Footsteps brought me out of my musings and I held my breath. I could not smell him and I thought it strange he would walk, especially as loudly as he was.

"Mels? I know you are here."

I exhaled and sat up. Zane's eyes glowed in the dark from where he stood several feet away. I raised an eyebrow at him. "What are you doing here?"

He jabbed his thumb behind him. "You know that big Archangel before is hiding in a tree by the portal? He seems to be waiting for someone. He looks foolish, as if bare branches can hide his hair and ostentatious clothes. It was easy to slip past him."