Chapter 6

The train carts shifts and bumps every so often, onyx eyes trailing out the window as trees and houses flicker past. "Ezra?" A weak voice whimpers out, causing the male to shift his attention to the source of the call, "Hm?" Ezra looks down at his brother with a soft look. "Are we there yet?" He shakes his head, "Not yet Hugo, get some more sleep. You need as much rest as you can get." The smaller male nods, cuddling up to his brother's side before closing his eyes once more.

...

"Well howdy do, if it isn't the Elric brothers!" Y/n jumps at the sudden voice, the trio were on their way to meet up with Roy, they were lucky at the timing since Roy had just been transferred to Central. Ed groans at the voice and turns around. "Hey Carter, how's it going." The female turns to look at the male??? Female??? Person, standing behind them, they're tan, with white hair and red eyes. Y/n simply stares at them as Ed an Al casually converse with the unknown individual, "You're an Ishvalan..." She mumbles, but quickly covers her mouth, they turn to Y/n, a small smile on their face.

"Yeah, I am." Al walks behind the person, placing an arm on their shoulder. "Payton here is actually a military soldier that works here in central." Payton smiles widely and rubs their neck, "But I thought all Ishvalan soldiers were purged before the Ishvalan war?" Y/n questions, Payton simply chuckles, "I was hired post-war so I was spared." Payton looks down, "However I was caught in the midst of it, and because of two Amestrians I'm still alive so I figured I'd join their ranks and hope to change their opinions of Ishvalans from the inside!"

Y/n's eyes shine with amazement at the person in front of her, "Wow, you're amazing." Payton flinches at her words of praise. "No need to compliment me! I don't deserve it." Payton chuckles, "Hey Carter, question." Ed says, Tapping them gently, Payton hums in response, "What're you even doing here? Don't you work in the Court Martial Office?" Y/n begins to drown out their conversation as the duo begin to converse.

"Um... Al?" The said male turns to look at Y/n, "Yeah?" Y/n rubs the back of her neck as she eyes up Payton. "Not to be rude but um..." Her eyes flickering from their apparent V-line creeping up from their baggy military pants to their feminine facial features and covered chest. "Um... is Payton a girl? Or a boy?" Al chuckles, "To be honest I don't even know, and I feel like it'd be rude of me to ask..." Al responds, rubbing the back of his helmet. "I see..."

...

"So you're related to the great Colonel Roy Mustang huh?" Payton asks, handing Y/n a cup of tea as Ed talks up the receptionist on Roy's whereabouts. "Not by blood but still." They nod, taking a sip on their own tea and leaning against the wall, their once cheery expression turning grim, "I understand." Y/n looks at them with a confused face, they chuckle.

"After the Ishvalan war, my parents were killed. I was only 4 at the time and the people I loved where killed right before my eyes, I'm not gonna lie, I was angry at the Amestrians. So one day I charged, and little 4-year-old me charged at some Amestrians." They chuckle, turning their head to look at her with a soft smile, "I was lucky I didn't charge at Kimbley that day, I had actually charged at your brother." Y/n's eyes widen, "Seriously?" They nod. "I was badly wounded from the attacks that killed my parents, so he called for some medics. The Rockbells, they patched me up then with the efforts of your brother, the Rockbells, and Brigadier Hughes-." Payton freezes, taking in a shaky breath. Y/n places a hand on their back, "Don't push your self..." They shake their head, "No, I'm used to telling this story, it's just that... Brigadier Hughes... he died recently, and I saw him as... as a father..." Y/n's eyes widen, wrapping an arm around Payton. "I'm sorry for your loss..." They nod and smile, "Thank you."

"Hey Y/n!" The duo flinches at Ed's call, "Your brothers here." She nods, pulling away from Payton. "Hey Payton," They look at her, humming in response, "I'm sure that where ever this Hughes person is, I'm sure he's in a good place." They smile, nodding at her statement. "Yeah, thanks." Y/n nods, handing her now empty cup of tea to them before running to join Ed and Al to walk to Roy's office.

"Hey dad, you knew the Colonel, did you meet her before?" Payton whispers as they watch the trio walk off, tears beginning to pool in their eyes, "She's a really sweet girl right?" They shudder at their last statement. "Need a tissue?" The Ishvalan turns their head to see Maria Ross, a sad smile on her face and a tissue in hand. Payton nods. "Yeah, thanks, Lieutenant." They say, taking it and she simply nods, "No problem, I mean, what are friends for ?"