So Close

Screams echoed around me as I fell into a deep hole, back first.  I reached and grasped at anything I could get a hold of.  None of my attempts to stop myself from plummeting worked, until I grabbed on to a soft, cotton-y object. Said object groaned in protest.

“Naruto?” I asked.

“Kiba.” The voice answered back.

“Oh well thanks for stopping my fall, Kiba.” I thanked, tightening my grip on him.

“Yeah no problem.” He answered, his voice just a little bit strained.  In a matter of seconds, someone grabbed onto me as well.

“Ida?” Naruto asked, below me.

“Hey!” I called back down.

Kiba was letting out puffs of air as he strained to keep himself from falling.  “Guys let go!” He commanded, “I’m about to fall.”  And he did.  Before the words completely left his mouth, we were sent plummeting farther into the hole.

Luckily we didn’t have far to fall.  Naruto landed on the ground, me on top of him, and Kiba on top of me.  Shino was at the other end of the hole, probably rolling his eyes at all of us.

I pushed Kiba off of me and sat up, still on Naruto, “That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.”

“Yeah,” Kiba agreed, “I thought it was going to be way worse than that.”  Naruto sat up, pushing me to the ground.  He glared, half-heartedly at Kiba and I.

“Yeah not that bad,” He mocked us, “Why doesn’t one of you be on the bottom next.”

“Nah, I like being on top.” I declined.

“Do you know how perverted that sounded?” Kiba asked, rolling his eyes.

“Do you know how perverted your jacket is?” I shot back, “Yeah I went there.”

“How’s that even possible?” Kiba inquired.

“It’s possible because your jacket could be made of leather, leather is made from cows, cows eat grass and grass is green, apples are also green, an apple a day keeps the doctors away, doctors help people, people also help people.  In conclusion your jacket is a person.” I stated, proudly.

“Did you hit your head?” Naruto asked after a few minutes of silence.  I shrugged in response.

“Did you guys hear any of that?” Shino asked coming over.

“Yes.” I answered, without thinking.

“Then what did she say?” Shino challenged.

I took Shino’s challenge and passed with flying colors, “She said that if you guys ever wanted to be like me, then you’d have to meet a dwarf and go on an adventure of friendship.  Meet a blue turtle and wear togas with him until you explode glitter.”

“Yep you definitely hit your head.” Naruto sighed, placing a hand on my shoulder, “Just focus on my face Ida, and I’ll get you through this.”

“Can I look at something besides your face?” I asked, squinting my eyes to look at him. 

Naruto looked offended and crossed his arms while he turned his body from me, “Is there something wrong with my face?”

I shrugged, “Besides the usual, no.  I just see you every day.  I like to look at new things.”

“Oh, I see…wait what do you mean besides the usual!!”

Shino came in and saved the day with his awesome silent sheep powers.  He interrupted me breaking the news to Naruto by saying, “We need to get out.”