Chapter 17.

Rukia looked down at her comrades –her friends- as she floated upwards in the air, a step closer to her death. Rukia had time to think about all of her friends, she thanked each and every one of them and thought about why she was thanking them.

Inoue; she helped Rukia become more open and became closer to her.

“Thank you” she mumbled.

Chad, Ishida; they both became more open and knew what was right and wrong. They would stick beside her no matter what; they’d risk their lives for her in a heartbeat.

“Thank you” she spoke.

Miho and Sasume; they both became more open minded about Rukia and how she acted. She didn’t know them very long but she cherished the memories she had with them.

“Thank you” she muttered.

Byakyua; Rukia’s brother left his arms opened wide for her; he acted like the brother she never had and always wanted. He always seemed so cold but he really did care for Rukia he just didn’t know where his priorities laid.

“Thank you” she thought.

Next she thought of Ichigo and Zuri, both short-tempered and would always think before they acted, they were constantly arguing with each other, she laughed as she remembered their love-hate-relationship.

“Good bye” she whispered.

Rukia closed her eyes in attempt to keep the tears from flowing, Soukyoku that held the power of 1,000,000 Zanpakuto’s was released, it floated up into the air, and formed into a Phoenix, a bird made of pure fire.

The Phoenix flew toward Rukia ready to bring her to her death, on reflex Rukia closed her eyes and waited for the fatal blow, but nothing came, opening her eyes once more she saw the familiar orange hair of Ichigo Kurosaki. He smiled down at her holding his Zanpakuto behind his back blocking the Phoenix’s blow.

“You idiot!” Rukia shouted “I told you not to come after me!”

Ichigo looked taken back by her words but composed himself “And I told you that all your opinions are rejected.”

The large Phoenix drew back getting ready to kill both of them, Rukia panicked, she didn’t want Ichigo to die. It was her fault he became twisted into this fate.

“You won’t be able to block another attack!” she shouted.

Ichigo grabbed his Zanpakuto and aimed it at the oncoming Phoenix. A flash of light appeared, everyone winced and looked away once the light was gone they all gasped. There stood a girl holding the Phoenix’s beck with her bare hand, that girl was Zuri Watanabe.

The Phoenix tried pulling out of her grip but nothing happened she still held it there as if it was a mouse. Ichigo’s eyes widened but then he grinned; he had to admit he was impressed with her. Rukia gasped her mouth gapping open.

“She stopped the Soukyoku it’s as strong as 1,000,000 Zanpakuto, with just her hand” Soifon mumbled under her breath.

Everyone else gasped, gawking at Zuri, they were all speechless. They knew of anyone to block the Phoenix especially with their bare hand.

“Long time no see, Rukia” Zuri smirked

A rope wrapped itself around the Soukyoku’s beak forcing it to be pulled back slightly. Two captains arrived together, the first captain was Captain Ukitate, and the second captain was Captain Kyouraku.

“You take your time, don’t you, Casanova?” Captain Kyouraku grinned down at his comrade.

“It took longer than I expected” Captain Ukitate replied.

Then together they both sealed away the Soukyoku because they knew it was all part of Aizen’s plan to have more power.

“I’ll use this distraction to help Rukia” Ichigo mumbled.

Ichigo did a back flip landing right behind her, then he concentrated some of his reiatsu into his Zanpakuto and slammed it behind Rukia, a bright light appeared and the cross of the Soukyoku broke and set Rukia free. Ichigo grabbed her body and smirked down at everyone below. Zuri stood next to him then jumped off landing on the floor like a prowling cat.

Zuri walked away from the fight and joined her friends, Inoue, Chad, Ishida and Yoruchi, then Ichigo had an amazing fight with Byakyua where he released his Bankai.

Zuri growled as she watched Ichigo win the fight, she just found out the name of her Zanpakuto and he was releasing his Bankai, he was always 2 steps ahead of her.

Soon the fight ended and Ichigo won, then they all headed back to the human world while Rukia healed here in Soul Society.

As they arrived near the gate that divided them between the real world and Soul Society, a man in a mask appeared in front of Zuri blocking her from everyone else; he seemed utterly mysterious and held his Zanpakuto in front of him getting ready to challenge Zuri.

“Who are you?!” Ichigo shouted.

Zuri glanced over her shoulder at Ichigo “Don’t worry I know him”

Ichigo grew worried, he didn’t want Zuri to fight, he knew what would happen if she lost control and feared for her life

Time to test out my new strength” Zuri smirked.

“Well, well, well, we meet again, Demon Spirit” he grinned at Zuri who narrowed her eyes at him and growled.

“Demon Spirit?” Everyone questioned.

“Oh you didn’t tell them?” before the man could finish Zuri punched him in the face.

A growl constantly erupting from within her throat “I am no longer the Demon Spirit”