Chapter Twenty-Eight

Verin POV

I could feel him glancing back to those spawns of one of the whores that my father had laid with. Annoyed, I didn't understand why he would care on what they wanted to say. Those two cause a lot of mischief in the castle and their pranks were very well known. So, it wouldn't surprise me if this was another game to them. Together, I was sure that they had their lies well-built and made to start making the webs grow.

Someday, their pranks will go too far.

Even then, I would still hate their existence.

"Will you stop glancing back?" I snapped at him. Pay attention to me, damnit! "They are liars. Don't allow them the benefit that they have tricked you by expressing concern."

Still, he looked concerned on what they had said. "They aren't bad, Verin. They just want attention."

"They are bad." I growled, growing frustrated. Why doesn't he understand that they cause misery to everyone?

His gaze snapped up to mine and, to my surprise, they glittered in anger. "Why? Because they are children of a woman that slept with your father that isn't your mother? That is not their fault. They are only children, trying to get affections from others because their own family won't give them a time a day. That includes you, their half-brother."

Of course, I reacted to it-good and bad. "Don't you defend them to me!" I hissed, feeling angrier. Before I could stop myself, I had moved to face him and forced him to back against the wall. My hands instantly splayed across the wall on each side of his head.

His gaze flickered his unease, but it disappeared a second later. "I will stand up what is right and true."

It had seemed that the more that my blood boils----the more that I desired him. God, it was honestly a turn on that he was trying to be less nervous. It was adorable. Though, it didn't help that both our chests were brushing against each other, rising and falling in anger. Shoot, our noses were nearly touching. I noticed intimately that his eyes were slightly dilated as his nostrils flared, breathing in more harshly.

I had suspicions that I wasn't the only one, which made me nearly smile. Damn him. I was trying to behave too. But since when did I ever behave? In the end, it caused a stir inside me. Before I could ponder more over it, I swooped in and kissed him firmly against his soft lips.

Not giving him time, I wrapped my arms around him to bring him closer. Feeling him stiffen, I allowed myself to gentle the kiss a bit by staying there. Was it tempting to force my tongue down his throat? Hell yes. But! I didn't want him to hate the experience. Slowly, I started to feel him relax, and to my surprise, he hesitantly opened his mouth against my own.

Feeling excited in many different ways, especially for him to finally cave in, I took this opportunity to put a tad more force into the kiss, where I can truly feel his soft lips against my own. Maybe kissing is an art of lust or something. But I can't get enough of him. I thought, amused.

Gently, I bit his bottom lip, and to my surprise, he made a small groan in response. Faolan slowly moved his arms to wrap them around my neck and simply rested them there while we kissed. That touch alone made my skin tingle. I moved my arms away from him so it rested against the wall around his head as I made myself pulled back to stare at him.

His gaze was hooded, looking dazed and many other emotions had flickered in those eyes. "Verin?" He whispered, hesitantly and unsure.

"I want to do more than just kiss you." I wanted that clear to him. "But I know that you're not there yet." I reached over to lay my hand against the side of his right cheek. "I'm trying my best to take things slow... for you." Despite how hard that will be.