Chapter Twenty-Seven

                                                            Faolan’s POV

"What do you mean?" He had demanded from his sisters as his gaze expressed how troubled he was by the news. "Do you know where she went?"

Pine had sniffled. "There was a lot of b-blood." She whispered, almost horrified. "I don't know what happened besides that she almost died and that it might of been an a-attack." She shuddered. "I didn't even recognize her..."

I felt like an awkward outsider, looking upon this scene. Honestly, I didn't know how to comfort them when I never met the woman myself. I heard a story of her but that's about it. Obviously, these two deeply cared about her to be able to feel bad for her. Even now, I noticed that Verin had shuddered at the news but kept his face the same.

"Where did she go?" Verin repeated, almost sounding concerned.

"She was sent to see Uphir." She whispered, sounding worn out from everything.  Her skin seemed paler than it normally was.

He reached over to stroke her hair back. "Go to your room and don't leave it for a while, okay?"

Hesitating, Pine nodded. "Okay, I'll go." She said, pulling back from him. "Will she be okay?"

"Of course." Verin said, almost confidently. I had a suspicion that it was an act. "She's strong. Now, go get that guard over there and go to your room for a little while." He nodded towards the guard that was checking through the kitchen. He had shown up shortly after Pine had screamed but I hadn't noticed him until now because I was too concerned about Pine.

Hesitating once last time, she went over to the guard to request to be taken to her room because her brother demand it so. The guard had nodded and began to walk away, patiently going to keep up with her. Pine glanced back one more time over her shoulder before she took a turn out of the kitchen.

Turning towards him, I asked, "Are we heading towards the infirmary?"

"How is your back doing?" Verin asked instead.

"Almost done healing." I confessed, surprised that my body was starting to heal better. It used to heal much slower because I wasn't taken care of my body well. Well, it was not like I was given a choice of when to eat and stuff.

"Well those stitches will need to be removed." He said, nodding. "And while they're being removed then we can see Quorra."

"Is she the cook?"

"Yeah." Verin said and rubbed the back of his neck. "I'll need to tell Louis about it too."

"Why?" I asked, confused. Why would Louis need to know what happened to the cook? Was it because he was a guard at the castle so he needed to know?

"Let's say that he has a soft spot for her." He told me, nodding. "But we're going to check on her first because I hope that will soften the news to him to know she's actually okay."

I hesitated as I'm not sure if I wanted to see that crazy doctor again. "Alright..." I finally said, a tad reluctant.

"It'll be okay." Verin told me as if trying to comfort me. "It shouldn't take too long." Putting a hand against my back, he waved his hand forward. "So, let's go."

Nodding, I began to walk forward with him besides me. Time to meet the doctor that I'd rather put to sleep myself.

                                                                        *********