6.Stephanie

"Rowan, come to us for the fireworks!" Stephanie called over to me. The sun had set and I hadn't moved from my spot on the beach. I'd finished the beer long ago and left the crumpled can where I'd been sat. By this point I was quite cold, so it wasn't the worst thing to return to where the warm fire was.

I stood by Stephanie and Tarim, because Evelyn was still around Liam and the hairy guy. She was having fun without her weird friend and I was going to let her go undisturbed.

The fireworks started just as Lucas passed me another beer, before he stood beside Tarim. They seemed to be very close friends, I wondered how long they'd known each other, but I didn't know them well enough to feel I could ask.

The sky was lit up by purple and pink explosions at first. Then white fireworks that shot up and sparkled afterwards. Blue and green and gold showered the sky in hundreds of round explosions that exploded off of the left over sparks in the air. It was fun to watch.

I felt Stephanie link her hand through mine. I froze. I was unsure why she did it; I didn't think I'd hinted I wanted her to. I wanted her to let go, but it seemed rude so I let her hold on. As the next firework went off she squeezed my hand, long enough for me to know it was deliberate. I wasn't sure how to respond so I just squeezed her hand back, but immediately I knew I shouldn't have because it made her move closer to me. I could just imagine the smile on her face and the blush in her cheeks, and I felt guilty for misleading her, if I had.

When the fireworks finished a few people clapped.

I couldn't clap; my hand was still being held.

By this point in the party people were drunk and falling onto each other. I saw Tarim and Lucas running into the darkness, probably to prank someone or something. Stephanie was starting to press her body against mine; I knew it was partly because she had drunk a lot. I knew she wanted me to kiss her, but I didn't want Evelyn to see. I didn't know why.

I looked over to Evelyn, right as her lips crashed against Liam's. She had her arms around his shoulders, and he was holding her by her waist. But then he slid his hands down to her very upper thighs, pausing over her ass, and lifted her so she could wrap her legs around his waist.

Suddenly I felt angry, betrayed. I had no reason to be, as Evelyn was free to do as she pleased, and so was I. So I put one hand lightly on Stephanie's cheek and kissed her. There were no fireworks, it wasn't magical, it didn't sweep me away and it didn't make me feel on top of the world. It wasn't a hungry kiss, hinting that I wanted more of her. It was basic, it went on for a long time and Stephanie seemed to like it as she let out weird moaning sounds every now and then. Her glasses would be getting steamy, because her breathing was heavy. I had my other arm around her waist, high up; but she moved my arm down to nearer her ass. I didn't move it back because I didn't want to upset her, but I think I was past that point now. I just hoped she wouldn't be able to remember this tomorrow.

I pulled away; as Tarim called over saying we were leaving now so we could get back in good time.

"I'll call you." I told Stephanie, sitting her down.

"You don't have my number." She slurred.

"Stephanie, I'll call you." I said, running over to Tarim, he was just getting in the car and said I could sit in the front while Lucas and Evelyn slept in the back. They were both tired from the night, I didn't get why, barely anything had happened.

\3ۗ��J