CHAPTER 4 - AMY

FEBRUARY 2015 - NEPAL

Frustrated I looked at the screen, but it showed nothing special. I sighed. It had been going on like this for three weeks now, and still I hadn't found anything. I was getting impatient because time was running out.

I studied the laptop again, looking for things I had missed. The screen showed a map of the Earth, on which I had added a radar that indicated weather changes. So far however, nothing abnormal could be seen. It also showed magnetic fields; especially the Bermuda Triangle was an intense colour of purple.

I had been staying in my apartment all the time to keep an eye on the computer screen. Luckily I didn't really need anything basic like food because I got never hungry, so I didn't have any reason to leave. There was only one problem, and that was the book I had borrowed from the library. The information I found wasn't complete; for some reason it stopped in the middle of a sentence, and some pages were smudged or ripped, as if the information in it was not meant for others to see. On one of the pages however, the name of a certain book was still visible. The title was familiar to me somehow... I just wasn't sure where- I perked up. Wait a minute. I rummaged a bit trough my folders. Was that really... Oh my god. It was! The book from my assignment! Finally, I had found a clue. Hmm, maybe the librarian knew more about it.

I decided to go to the library and talk to the woman. I'd have to leave my laptop behind for a second but if I was quick I wouldn't miss anything. I secured my laptop with a security program and shut it down. Then, with the book in my hand, I closed the door of my apartment.

After a while I reached the library, but when I walked up the little steps I saw the sign 'closed' hanging on the door. I checked my phone; it wasn't even 4 o'clock yet. Why would it close so early?

I walked to the side of the building into a small alley. Maybe there was a door that lead to the back? There wasn't, but there was a window three meters above my head, and it was open. A container stood against the wall behind me so I pushed it under the window and swiftly jumped onto it. Then I grabbed the ledge of the window to pull myself up, and I crawled inside, jumping down softly at the other side of the wall. Quickly I checked my surroundings. All the lights were out, but I could still see I was in a small room that was stacked with books. On my left was a door; opening it, I saw the familiar wooden desk and the bookshelves alongside the walls. Some of the lights were still on. I walked towards the desk but there was no one behind it - of course. Rummaging through some drawers I found nothing special; there was lists of returned books and a list of the complete collection of the library. I went to the character 'T' on the list, but before I could check any names I was startled by a high shriek.

Turning around I saw the librarian standing a couple of meters from where I stood. She looked shocked, and suddenly she started yelling.

"I will call the police! I will call the police!"

"No!" I  yelled quickly. "I only need some information about books, I'm not here to hurt you! Calm down!"

The lady continued yelling however, and didn't seem capable of stopping any time soon. I ran to her and placed my hand over her mouth while I took both of her arms in my other hand. Then I pinched her shoulder hard with my fingers. At the same time I whispered a few words in an old language, not spoken anywhere here on Earth, in her ear. She immediately stopped yelling and became limp. Carefully so I wouldn't hurt her I placed her on the ground and shushed her while she was still murmuring things. I looked around for something I could give her to relax and saw a coffee machine in the corner, so I made a cup of coffee and waited for her to regain enough mobility to take it from me. She looked up at me with a confused look on her face, but then the expression on her face changed and she gave me a little smile.