Epilogue

With a loud 'thud' my body suddenly collided with solid ground and I stood up straight, dusting myself off. I looked down and noticed I had the body of a grown man.

"You know you cannot help them," the voice boomed.

"I know, Father."

I looked down and saw the scene I had just left. I saw the empty spot where I had fallen, the grass seemingly a bit scolded, as if a small fire had burned there.

And then I saw the two groups move. I saw them collide, and I knew this was it. This was the war I had feared – this was what I had jumped for last time. To save them. My brothers and sisters. The souls in heaven and on Earth.

It pained me to stand there and watch. It pained me to know that this could be stopped so easily... If they only knew I was alive. I eyed the distance. I could do it. I had never been this high up in heaven, but I could do it. I could jump down and tell them how it really was: I could show them I wasn't dead.  I could tell them that God was still here, watching over all of us. I could. But I didn't.

Not yet.

"Father," I said. "I have to." For some reason I felt like I had to explain it to Him. Like I was doing something unheard of, by jumping down. Something unnatural. Something... unforeseen by Him. Which would be considered strange, since He created everything; He made everything, He decided everything. He knew everything. I understood it now. I understood life, I understood death. And most of all, I understood the purpose.

"It's not right, Lucifer. Don't make the same mistake you have made once before." His voice was strong and powerful, as it should be. But at the same time it was... Reprimanding. Annoyed. Bored, even. As if I were a child he was teaching something everyone else already understood.

I shook my head. He could not decide this for me now. I had died as an angel – and that alone was already something unheard of. That alone was already something he had not foreseen.

"You put me in that place Father. You put me there, in order to stop the war from happening. But I didn't stop it. Instead, I am here. Tell me, what else am I supposed to do?!" Death, as ironically as it seemed, had made me more powerful than I once was, even as an angel. I had to go down there. I had no choice. This was what my fate would be.

I looked over the ledge once more, and then calmly walked forward until there was nothing solid left to step on. Then, I kept walking.

And I felt that I was falling.

As I opened my eyes I noticed that I might as well not have - everything around me was completely dark, and it felt empty. Not empty like a room without beings, but more like a vacuum. Somehow though, I knew that this void was even emptier than a vacuum. It was empty of time as well.

I flapped my hands and flailed with my arms to see if I could turn myself around to check what was behind me, or if I could maybe manage to change my speed. Not like I had any way of knowing what speed I was going at; there was no wind howling in my ears nor was there anything in my surroundings that I could use as a point to fix my eyes on, but I felt like I at least had to try.

I raised my hands and held them before me.

Wait. I could see them? That meant my surroundings weren't dark, they were just... Black? A soft white light shimmered around my fingers, and as I watched I saw my hands begin to change. Merely seconds ago I had been looking at strong underarms and fingers that could grasp something firmly - now my hands were old and weak, with pale, thin skin and age spots forming on them.

I turned them around to look at my palms and suddenly they were changing again, but this time differently; the weak skin grew thicker, my muscles came back and I felt my shoulders broaden. It didn't stop there however. The morphing continued until I was looking at the smallest hands, with tiny nails and soft skin. I kicked my legs and noticed they were far closer to my body than they had been; I tried to make a sound but all that came out was a little moan. I had changed from an old man into a young babe.

Knowing this didn't scare me at all though. I might not know where I was exactly or what was going to happen to me - if I was going to die, if I was doomed to spend eternity hanging in this void aging back and forth - but it didn't matter. I knew I had made the right choice.

"Made the right choice? Are you sure about that?"

Wait, where had that voice come from? The question had left my mind as soon as it entered however, and for a moment I didn't do or think anything at all.

After some time had passed - or maybe none had, I still had no idea - I saw tiny flashes passing by. In the following few seconds they grew bigger, and suddenly one came very close. Stars. I didn't know why I thought they were called stars, since I didn't remember seeing nor hearing about them but that didn't matter.

What I did feel was a sense of loss. Like I had missed something where I should have been, like I had done something wrong...

"Fool! Because of this grave mistake I will punish you! You will be cast out of heaven to be never seen again. You will be forced to live lives on Earth for an eternity; never will you be allowed back in. Never will you be allowed to wear your angel form again. So have I spoken, and so it shall be!"

I knew where that voice came from now. His voice was hard and unforgiving. Booming, searching its way through my body, making my bones tremble with its power. I knew I had missed heaven. I was falling faster now – or at least, the stars kept coming at me faster and faster. I had no idea what would happen to me, or to heaven, or to Earth...

But what I did know, was that I had failed.

---

[A/N]

The End! :D

Woah, this feels kinda weird tbh, publishing the last chapter. I hope you guys liked it! Was the ending unexpected? Expected? Boring? You hate us now? (If that's the case, sorry not sorry.)
Let us know what you thought of it! And of course, leave a vote behind if you liked this chapter c:

For the last time;

Lots of love Xx.~
Veronique, Maxine and Mirthe