CHAPTER 10 - GABE

"Gabe, I can't take it anymore," came a voice from the café entrance. It was Luke. "She is just so annoying. Constantly telling me I'm lying. Thinking that she knows me better than I do." Luke walked into the shop towards the table behind me. For me it felt like everyone who was inside was watching him, so I quickly went over to his table.

"Who? Jessica?" I then whispered to him, hoping he got the hint.

"What? No, Amy," He basically yelled. I cringed involuntarily.

"Who's Amy?"

"Some new girl in our year. Met her in the lunch break. She accused me of lying to Jessica when I told her I couldn't come tonight because of my homework."

"Well," I said slowly. "I have no idea who this Amy person is, but she is kinda right isn't she? You're here and not doing homework."

"That's because Amy made me so angry that I can't concentrate on my homework. She acted if she had known me all my life and even accused me of lying, and in the lessons she kept watching me as if she knew something I didn't know and now I'm trying to figure out what she knows what I don't know, and I don't know man, it's just fucking annoying."

"Ok, but why does it bother you so much what the new girl thinks about you?"

"I don't know. She just hit a nerve."

At that moment I heard the doorbell tingle, announcing someone walking into the café."Alright, fuck it mate, that's her. I gotta go. Have a good shift, see you tomorrow." As if suddenly in a rush Luke stood up and dashed outside, almost bumping into the girl who was now standing in the entrance.

She looked like quite pretty, I had to admit. She had black hair and a T-shirt with 'Fuck y'all' on it. She seemed quite intimidating to me too, even more as Kate did sometimes. Without bothering to greet me Amy walked into the shop and went looking around the bookshelves, so I let her be for a moment and went to the other customers. After about fifteen minutes I noticed that she was still looking around the bookshelves and hadn't ordered anything, so I went towards her.

"Can I help you with anything?"

She jumped a bit. "I'm sorry.. didn't want to startle you, but I've seen you looking around for quite some time already and I wondered if I could help you? I work here." I pointed to the logo on my shirt.

After a moment, she said: "yeah, I could use some help. Do you have a book about angels? Not a fantasy book, but more like a historical book. Non-fiction."

"Erm," I said as I scratched my head. "I don't know if we have those books, and to be honest I don't think there are a lot of non-fiction books about angels in the first place, so..." I laughed sheepishly.

"What do you mean by that?" she snapped.

"Nothing, sorry, I will look for you. Give me a moment." I walked towards the religion department. A moment later I found one book about people believing in having seen an angel, so I took that one, and my eye also fell on a religious book with all the angels in it and what they had done. With both books in hand I walked  back to Amy.

"Maybe this is what you're looking for?"

Amy took both books and looked through them.

"Thank you, this will do for now. Can I take them with me?"

"Sorry, but these books are not for sale or rent. They are supposed to be read in the café." Her face fell a bit, but after a short nod Amy sat herself at the table at the far right corner of the shop, hidden from most of the café, and began searching through the books. Now and then she would write something down.