CHAPTER 15 - GABRIEL

I stumbled out of the portal and landed into a wide field of grass. I was surrounded by trees, and in the distance I could see a meadow. It reminded me of a nature park I had once visited with one of my foster families. Had that life really been nothing but a lie? Was that really just the aftermath of me following Lucifer to Earth, in the hope for a better life? Was I really in heaven now? This was not what I remembered about heaven's entrance. Had I done something wrong?

Suddenly I felt a presence beside me and I remembered that I had taken Jessica with me through the portal when I fell. She didn't look anything like Jessica, but I knew it was her because I could sense her. Her human body must have been left behind, just like mine had... What I was seeing was her soul.

Then it hit me. If Jessica had left her body behind on Earth and was now showing her bare soul, she wouldn't be able to go back to Earth, at least not as the human she had been. Basically, I had just taken away her life from her. No. No, no, no, this couldn't be happening! What had I done? I knew I had planned to take her with me in the first place, but I hadn't really thought it trough at that time. The only reason she was now here was because I was so clumsy. And the worst thing of all was that she didn't know anything about what had happened to her yet.

"Gabe, where are we? What happened to you? You look... Different," Jessica asked, sounding frightened.

"I'm so sorry Jessica... I... Well, I don't know how else to put it to you, so might as well just say it, right?" I took a deep breath. "We are in heaven. I am.. Well, I am an angel."

"An angel?  What?" She laughed nervously. "Angels don't exist. This is probably some kind of joke from Luke, isn't it? Where is he hiding?"

"It's... I'ts not a joke, Jessica," I said softly. " My official name is Gabriel. I followed Lucifer down from heaven to Earth. Or, as you know him, Luke." She gaped at me. "And that's not even the worst part... I... I wasn't supposed to take you with me Jessica, I am so sorry..." This time she looked confused.

"What do you mean?"

"I... You're in heaven now too Jessica." I stopped talking, silently hoping she would figure it out for herself and I wouldn't have to spell it out to her. After a short moment it seemed like she had.

"Wait, you mean I'm like... Dead?" she said silently.

"Stop!" Another voice suddenly said. "Don't move! You are not allowed to be here, neither of you! And you should know most of all, Gabriel." I looked around, panickly. "We are here to take you back where you belong," the angel continued. All of a sudden we were surrounded by soldiers. Without really thinking it trough I shouted the first thing that came to mind: "I know where to find Lucifer, and I brought this soul with me to prove it!" I pointed at Jessica.

"Gabe, what are you talking about?" she asked bewildered.

The angels sent glances towards each other when one of them spoke. "If you would please follow me. We will discuss what you know." Without having another choice, Jessica and I followed them through the trees. As we left the small forest I saw that we were headed towards a white building.

"Gabe, please explain what's going on! Why do you keep calling Luke Lucifer? Why am I an angel now? Will I ever see my parents again? And my friends?"

I sighed. The least thing I owed to her was an explanation. "A long time ago, Lucifer, Amitiel and I lived here in heaven together," I started whispering while we walked. "We all arrived here at the same time. At one moment in time, Luke rebelled against Father. He said that Father was a bad leader and he jumped to Earth. There were rumours going around that he could give you a better life than you had now. That you could get a purpose in life, a free choice. So I followed him, but... It wasn't like we had envisioned it. Everyone got separated and lost all thoughts of heaven. A lot of angels followed Luke and because of this heaven became underpopulated." I fell silent for a moment. "This caused Father to lose a lot of power and therefore it caused a lot of bad things to happen on Earth."