CHAPTER 5 - LUKE

MARCH 2015

"Goddammit!" I said while frowning at the tv screen in front of me. I really wanted to win. "C'mon, c'mon," I whispered quietly.

"I can hear you, you know, and praying won't work. You're going down," Fred said over the headset.

"Luke! Gabe's here!" my sister yelled at me from downstairs.

"Be right there!" I said. Instead of getting up though, I kept frowning at the screen, frantically pushing the buttons on my controller.

"What's keeping you so long?" Gabe said from behind me and I jumped a bit.

"Geez you startled me."

"I'm beating his ass!" Fred yelled into his mike so Gabe could hear. I laughed.

"Shutup Fred. Gimme one minute Gabe, and he's a goner."

Gabe laughed and shook his head, sitting next to me. "Sure, sure. Show me how it's done."

Suddenly Fred made a combo move, beating my character to the ground.

"ONE... TWO... THREE..." the referee in the game counted.

"Get up boy, come on, you can do this! It's only a little punch!" I yelled at the tv, but my character wouldn't move, no matter how much I motivated him and no matter how many buttons I pressed.

"YOU LOOSE," the tv said. I chucked my controller at the ground and huffed.

"Fine, I have to go anyway Fred, talk to you later." Fred laughed at me.

"Aw, don't be a sore loser. Just because you lost the last.. What was it, three, four, battles? Doesn't mean you're a bad player," he said. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"Shutup, the last two times I let my sister play. See ya." I took off my headset and turned to Gabe. "What's up?"

"I came to ask you if you could help me out a bit maybe. I just don't understand the stuff we have to know for Chemistry." I stretched out my arm.

"Give me that book mate, and let me work my magic." Gabe grinned as he handed me his notes and sat down in another chair.

About two hours later my mum called us down for dinner. "Be right there!" I yelled. "So you get it now?" I asked Gabe in a lower volume. "The mole is a unit of measurement, which has a value of 6,022×1023. So if you have one mole, that's actually 6,022 times 10 to the power of 23, since it's expressed by the Avogadro constant, which is that number." Gabe looked even more puzzled than he had done before, so exasperated I closed the book. "Time for food," I announced. He nodded, seemingly relieved. "You'll get there mate, it's easier than it seems. You're just thinking too much about it."

Gabe looked at me a bit sheepishly.  "Whatever, I'm hungry. What's for dinner?" I shrugged an I-have-no-idea and we both went downstairs.

"What time is your date tonight Luke?" Mum asked me while she took the lovely smelling casserole of lasagne out of the oven.

"Ehh.." I looked at her, puzzled.

"Your date? With Jessica? You said you two were going out tonight," she clarified. I face palmed.

"Right, shit! I completely lost track of time. The movie starts around eight but I still have to shower and get changed. What time is it?" I took out my cell phone. "Shit! Six thirty already?!"

"Language," my father warned me. "And what did we say about cell phones at the table? If you need to know the time get yourself a watch." I rolled my eyes.

"Sure old man, will do."

My father rolled his eyes back at me. "And don't forget to clean your room before you go. It's a mess up there."