CHAPTER 9 - LUKE

MARCH 2015 – LONDON

I felt that I was falling.

As I opened my eyes I noticed that I might as well not have - everything around me was completely dark, and it felt empty. Not empty like a room without beings, but more like a vacuum. Somehow though, I knew that this void was even emptier than a vacuum. It was empty of time as well.

I flapped my hands and flailed with my arms to see if I could turn myself around to check what was behind me, or if I could maybe manage to change my speed. Not like I had any way of knowing what speed I was going at; there was no wind howling in my ears nor was there anything in my surroundings that I could use as a point to fix my eyes on, but I felt like I at least had to try.

I raised my hands and held them before me.

Wait. I could see them? That meant my surroundings weren't dark, they were just... Black? A soft white light shimmered around my fingers, and as I watched I saw my hands begin to change. Merely seconds ago I had been looking at strong underarms and fingers that could grasp something firmly - now my hands were old and weak, with pale, thin skin and age spots forming on them.

I turned them around to look at my palms and suddenly they were changing again, but this time differently; the weak skin grew thicker, my muscles came back and I felt my shoulders broaden. It didn't stop there however. The morphing continued until I was looking at the smallest hands, with tiny nails and soft skin. I kicked my legs and noticed they were far closer to my body than they had been; I tried to make a sound but all that came out was a little moan. I had changed from an old man into a baby.

"Dude, what the fuck are you doing?" Gabe whispered as he poked me in my side. "You're kicking and making weird noises and what not. Wait, are you sleeping?"

"Huh wha- No, I'm awake," I said, rubbing my eyes. I couldn't help falling asleep; French was just so incredibly boring, and I had been reading till pretty late last night in The Dragon Reborn from the Wheel of Time series. It was a great series, just a bit of a pity that the books were so long and that there were so many of them. It'd probably take me more than a year to read all of them at the pace I was going in now, which was slow. I kept forgetting to read at night because I had been gaming a lot with Fred till late to avoid this reoccurring dream I was having. It wasn't like it was a scary dream or whatever, it was just pretty.. Disturbing how real it all seemed to be, even though it felt impossible at the same time. Ah well. I blinked a bit. Better pay attention now.

"Mr. Olson, I would very much like to know what is more important than my class?" Mrs Colbert said. Gabe flushed.

"Nothing Miss, I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"Speak up boy, I can't hear you if you talk like that."

"It's nothing," Gabe said, louder this time. Mrs Colbert raised her eyebrow.

"Could you please repeat that in French for me?"

"Ehh..." Gabe became even redder. I resented our teacher for making fun of him in front of the class like this, because Gabe hated talking in front of other people and she knew it. I couldn't really help him however; she disliked me even more than Gabe, so if I spoke up I would make it even worse. "Je surveillerai, madame Colbert." Luckily for the both of us, we were good in languages.

"I hope so." She looked at the both of us intensely when the bell rang.

"Saved by the bell," I whispered.

"Gabe, can I speak to you for a second please?" Mr Colbert said as we wanted to walk out. I raised my thumb and mouthed a 'Good luck' to Gabe before dashing out and walking to my locker. Thank god I escaped, even though I felt a bit sorry for Gabe. He had only been helping me.