CHAPTER 12 - GABE

I was woken by Beelzebub at eight o'clock, which was my luck, because I had forgotten to set my alarm. Quickly I dressed, got something to eat for the both of us, dropped all my school books in my bag and rushed to school on my bicycle. And just like every morning, I secretly wished that I had enough money for a driver's license and a car.

Thank god I was  just on time for my physics class. Luke was still waiting in the hallway. Of course he was. He was always the last one to enter the classroom. When we entered I had the feeling someone was staring at me. I shyly looked around the class and saw that it was Amy, the new girl. After I met her in the shop I had thought she was quite intimidating, but secretly I thought she was interesting as well and I would like to get to know her better. I knew it was probably futile to try because she had been so rude after leaving me at the shop (though later Luke and I did laugh about it since well, let's be honest, it was a great line), but still.

In my haste this morning, I of course forgot to go past my locker to get my chemistry books, so after physics was over I rushed towards it. "Shit," I muttered as I tripped over my shoelace. I stumbled the last few steps forward and slammed into my locker, hurting my shoulder in the process. I checked the locker for damage but it didn't seem to be dented, thank god. Rubbing my shoulders I took my books and walked towards my Chemistry class. Damn that hurt.

At the end of the hall I saw Amy walking. "Hi Amy!" I said and quickened my pace towards her. I was late for my Chemistry class, but I didn't care if I would be even later. Mr. Handson already hated me anyway. If I was merely a minute late he would already give me detention, so I decided that in my case it was better to make new friends than to learn about molecules.

Without hearing her greet me I asked her if she didn't have a class. She didn't look like someone who would skip classes. Certainly because she had been bugging Luke about lying, I assumed she would be someone to take school quite seriously.

"No, I had just forgotten my books," she replied. "Why do you want to know so much about me?"

Her question came unexpected and I didn't really know how to answer her. I was just genuinely interested in getting to know her, because she looked like a nice girl. In my awkwardness I replied the best I could. Which probably didn't sound very smooth.

"Oh no, I didn't mean to... I mean I didn't want to question you or anything, I just wanted to show you that I'm interested in you." I tried to smile politely, though I quickly stopped as I realized it could have come across as creepy or something. Mentally I slapped myself. I was such a trainwreck sometimes.

Then I realized what I said and felt the heat creeping up to my cheeks. I didn't mean that I was interested in her as in a crush, but I was interested in her to be my friend. So again I tried to correct myself. "And I did not mean that in the way I said it."

"Right..." she said slowly. "So what are you doing here then?"

"Yeah, I forgot my books as well," I laughed, because I was asking her question about not going to class, while I wasn't going either and I delayed her even more. Which reminded me of the fact that it was probably time we went to our classes. "Wait, maybe we can walk to our classrooms together?"

She didn't reply but didn't tell me no either, so I settled with walking next to her in silence. While we did, I noticed the necklace she was wearing. It was a rosary, and felt like I was really... Drawn to it. I wanted to reach for it, when Amy suddenly jumped away and basically sprinted down the hallway. I froze on my spot. What was that all about? What did I do wrong? I just wanted to touch the necklace and get a closer look? It was such a beautiful rosary. Suddenly I recalled I was standing in the middle of the hallway. I must have zoned out. The class started 15 minutes ago. Quickly I made my way towards the chemistry class room.