Stepsister

I walk down the stair, the cold stone wall bringing out a strange sense of comfort. Call me weird, but sometimes, I feel like the cold and dark things can actually make me feel comfortable and safe. As I walk closer to the bottom of the stair, I see a dim light glowing. The light gets brighter and brighter as I arrive at the bottom of the stairs. I turn to the left, facing a large room with small round lightbulbs hanging from the walls, making the room feel cozy. The smell of wet earthy mosses fill my nose when I inhale the air. Oh, how I love the sweet smell of that besides my mate's scent.

Laying on a round wooden table is a vase of two red roses inside it as the table stands at the middle of the room, a few chairs surrounding it. Two couches touch each other at the left side against the wall. At my right, one bed at the right corner and another one at the left corner next to the furthest couch. A small sky blue dresser stands next to the left bed. The stone walls are covered by some pictures of nature and posters of bands and famous people. Different colors and sizes rugs cover most of the smooth grey rock floor.

I walk to the table and sit on a bean bag chair. I rest my head on my hand, looking at the bed at the left. I'm observing a dress next to it. My 18th birthday dress.

The strapless dress is sapphire blue and black, black flower laces spread out at the top with a black ribbon on it while the lower part is tutu-like, big and a little fluffy. It's beautiful and perfect and it's a only dress Zaria can find for my eighteenth birthday. I give out a light sigh, dreaming about what it'll like to be free. I have been craving for a taste of freedom ever since I first came here and joined this horrible pack. I haven't get much freedom like I used to back in my old pack.

I hate my pack so much. My pack is the most dangerous pack on earth and I'm no match for it. I'm too short, roughly at 4'9" tall, yeah, I'm really short. I'm the shortest person in the pack. And the weakest also. I'm not a warrior, not strong enough to fight others. I'm not the fastest either. That's how I wasn't able to be in training, thanks to Stepdad. But at least, I'm the smartest.

I'm smarter than anyone else in my high school, especially the teachers, principals, and guards. I'm a straight-A student, never missing a day of school, even half days. Part of me do hate going to school everyday. The reason is because I get bullied by the bullies and they are mean to me all the time. I kind of have to deal with them, ignoring them and pretending that they don't exist. I wasn't a fighter doesn't mean I'm a quitter. I'm not that weak. I am strong enough to ignore them, strong enough to take in all the pains when Stepdad abuses me, and smart enough to see that I need to leave and never come back again. Even that means leaving my mate behind and get another chance at life, a better life. That's what I want. A life where I'm away from the pain, stress, hate, depression, fear, weakness, and sadness. I want to be free, happy, and live a normal life away from the werewolves and among the humans.

"Hey, Julia."

I look up to see a teenage girl a year older then me. Her medium golden hair shines beautifully, her chestnut brown eyes contrast against her white skin, and her perfect lip forms a small smile. She wears a white laces shirt with a pair of deep blue jeans and a pair of brown knee-length boots.

Hey, I sign, moving my hands around in order to 'talk' with her. She had taught me how to communicate with other people in another language which is called American Sign Language. I'm lucky to have some kind of language to continue communicating with people, especially to my stepsister.

"He did it again, didn't he?" She sits down on the low black chair next to me.

I nod and she gives out a irritated sigh. I look at my tall and strong stepsister, yet she looks beautiful. Her musclier arms flex as she moves the chair closer to me. She wraps me in her arms with her arms on my upper back, avoiding most of the wounds. She's bigger and taller than me and again, I'm a smallest girl in the pack. She's the tallest and strongest warrior in the pack and I always feel safe with her and happy that she's with me, by my side to protect me sometimes when she can.

"I'll bring you dinner, ok?" She looks up as she releases me.

I nod. She gets off the chair and walks to the other stairwell that leads up to her bedroom at the other side of the basement. I watch her as she climbs the stairs, then I look down, going into my deep thinking again.

Zaria and I had made this room since I had first arrived here. I remembered being abused at first sight by Stepdad and Zaria was so pissed at him that she pushed him off and dragged me in her room. She told me that she will try her best to protect me, build me a safe place to escape my fears, my horrible stepdad, and... well, she doesn't know about this, but I also use it to escape from my mate that no one know. I know who's my mate, but he doesn't know who his mate is and no one else know either. It's a good thing because I'm not ready for that kind of relationship. I'm not ready to love a man and live by his side for the rest of my life. I'm not sure how he'll see me as. But I don't want to be rejected by someone or worse, used. Being used can be the worst thing that could ever happen to me.

I'm afraid of what my mate will think of me when he will first see me. Will he see me as a weak girl, unable to gain weight and fight for myself? Unable to speak to him? Will he abuses me like Stepdad do? I have so many question running in my mind, unsure what my mate will do. I have heard he's not a nice guy and that makes me think of him as Stepdad.

"Dinner's here." I hear Zaria speaking, breaking my train of thoughts, and look up to see her carrying a plate towards me.

She sets it down on the table and my stomach rumbles in delight. I have forgot that I am starving, didn't eat breakfast nor lunch. I dig in a big piece of BBQ chicken thick in BQQ sauce, green beans, and oranges. Zaria hands me a cup of hot chocolate and I again realize that I'm still freezing, even though I'm wearing my hoodie. She sits by my side the whole time while I was eating, not moving an itch. She watches me like a guardian angel does with a little child. And I couldn't ask for a better guardian angel.

She comforts me in her loving arms after I finish dinner, her heat warming up my ice cold body. I rest my head on her shoulder, feeling full and sleepy from the big dinner that I had.

Ever since I came here and when I first met Zaria, I got scared of her by her size and height. But then, when she saved me from her awful dad, I let her look after me like a little sister and protect me like I'm the most important treasure that she ever has. She couldn't stand having her dad beating me after the extremely bad beating. She couldn't stand seeing him doing that to me. Unfortunately, she's unable to get rid of him due to the fact that her dad is a Beta to the pack.

I remembered that horrible day and will always remember. I remembered being hit hard in the head from him and I was knocked out cold. The next thing I know was waking up being on Zaria's bed, Zaria sitting next to me and petting my hair. She was crying and I opened my mouth to speak, but no sound came out. I realized that I can't talk and so I cried with her.

She had told me that when I got hit, it messed up the part of my brain the ability to speak, mind-link, and the connection to my wolf. I can't mind-link anyone, not even my stepsister and I couldn't believe that I'm mute. I can't talk to my wolf anymore. I even can't feel her. I probably won't talk to anyone and probably won't talk for the rest of my life. There's no cure for this and I suddenly know I'll have to accept it. I'll have to accept myself being quiet. There's no way to heal me back the way I was before.

I get more sleepy, my eyes slowing closing and my body relaxes. Before I can doze off, I hear Zaria softly whispers in my ear, "Go to sleep. One more day, don't you forget."

One more day until freedom. I'm turning eighteen tomorrow and the rule of the pack is... Once you turn eighteen, you can either stay or leave....

Hi guys! The picture is Zaria, isn't she pretty? Now you know that Julia can't talk. Thank for reading. Comment, vote, share, and follow. Thanks.
Song: Believer by Imagine Dragons
~Ghostwolf1999
Edited: May 28, 2017