Chapter 9

[A/N: JJ in the pic]

Rain

Dread. Instead of warmth and joy, dread is what I felt as fairly strong arms gripped me from behind. The angry growl directed at Johnny filled me with guilt, its clear how this looked from outside perspective: Johnny hurt me.

Yet he's been the only one to tell me the truth.

Johnny moved back eyes wide in fear his hands up in surrender. His gaze darted between mine, my mate's and the oncoming figure of his uncle, who looked thoroughly enraged too.

Between a rightfully possessive wolf and a confused yet possessive wolf, Johnny could see the danger as could I.

"Listen man, I didn't touch her! OK? Just ask her, please... " His eyes begged my frozen begged my frozen being to say something.

I cleared my throat, "He's telling the truth my love, he was only being kind to me."

My mate only tightened his hold on me, his minty mixture fresh scent enveloped my being yet it failed to calm me because Emmery was only a few feet away now and still moving, even from afar his gaze suspended mine to his.

My heart raced as my mates grumbled a bit, taking a whiff at my neck. I suppose he didn't like the scent dominating mine, Emmery's. But, would this be the day I've braced myself for? The day my mate rejects me?

It was my eyes that begged a stupified Johny's this time, help make them understand Johny, please...

Emmery was eyeing the arms around me like vile snakes, he'd burn 'em to ashes if he eyes were lasers too.

"I... I'll just go a-and get my father... quick" Johnny scurried off into the crowd.

For one stupid (internally celebrated) moment of calm around me, my mate spun me face him, his eyes roamed my face. Lovingly, without a sneer, just admiration. I'd missed this, having someone admire me, being important to someone. For this one stupid calm before the storm I basked in this feeling, between Emmery, Lilly and my "endevours", this may be the only time my fated held me this way.

"Beautiful" He mumbled in somewhat of a daze. His smile alone was making Lara howl with joy. He hand felt my cheek, the sparks and the warmth made me feel like I'd died and gone to heaven. He was handsome, though he seemed familiar...

It was utter bliss, until reality kicked me in the ass and I remembered my current position.

He made to kiss me, at which I turned. It would cause more problems to give into the urge right now. But the hurt that flashed our mate's features had Lara whimpering in guilt.

"Do you... not want me?" My mate's sad voice asked. "I do but-"

"Did I NOT tell you to stay put?!" I jumped at Emmery's booming voice, leaving my startled mate's arms.

I stole a glance into his eyes but quickly bowed my head at the sheer fury in them. His anger scared me, honestly cause he waaaay bigger than my mate. He could squish my mate like a bug.

"You did Emmery, but..there's something-"

"Then why do I return to find you in the arms of another?!" He cut me off, ignoring my words altogether.

He's mad.

Embarrassingly, I could smell fear radiate off of my mate in waves, as (I assume) could everybody else in the room.

This told me I was right in thinking he couldn't save me, not from Emmery.

"He is... my mate." I said on a near whisper, fearing it would anger him further.

"I asked you a question!" He bellowed and I jumped.

So did my mate.

Why do I get the feeling he won't be interested in being my hero?

I rose my head slightly, repeating myself.

"This is my mate Emmery, my true mate."

"What did you say woman?" He asked sounding genuinely shocked.

This was the moment I'd dreaded because Emmery was not a pervert, he was a confused and very heartbroken wolf just desperate to be with his beloved mate again, a mate I unfortunately resembled.

Looking into his eyes, I wondered if there was a kinder way to land the same blow twice cause surely, I will be killing his Darling again with this.

"Emmery I'm not HER, I have my own mate." At this I could hear rushed footsteps against the marble floors, from more than a single direction. "What?" He asked, his voice small.

"She said she belongs to ME, you deaf mutt!" My mate burst out rather inconsiderately, earning laughs from the selfish snobs surrounding us as he pulled me to him once more.

How could he be so insensitive to another wolf's pain?

I angrily pushed off of him to meet the gaze of a heart aching vulnerable Alpha in front of me and pulled my hair out of its up-do, "I am not her, your Darling?" I could see his wolf surface at the mention of his beloved's name. "My name is Rain Everton."

"Don't you dare drag our good name into this, we disowned you, end of story." My mother barked out from somewhere close, the witch standing with her. And a proud Shelly.

What did I ever do to deserve this?

Ignore them and focus Rain.

"They lied to you Emmery, to us!" I pointed at my leaders. "Made me look this way so you'd assume, no, believe I'm your dead mate!" He flinched in hurt at the word dead.

He was man enough not to hide his hurt though, his tears plain for everyone to see, and maybe he wanted my leaders to see the damage they'd done cause he eyed them. Luna quickly stepped forth pulling MY mate to her, why?

"Emmery!" Her fake cheer was palpable with the forced giggles. "I see you've met my son JJ!" Well crap, I might never have JJ-my-mate if he's JJ-her-son.

This seemed to anger Emmery also, but why? Everybody now held their, waiting the angry giant's next move.

"I have met him Lillian," He spat out, that's not even Luna's name. "I met him just now attempting to steal MY mate!"

Oh shit, he didn't believe me then. His sharp claws pushed out, his body barely avoiding shifting as he stalked towards the blubbering Luna and her visibly shaking son; my mate.

"Ha ha, don't be silly JJ doesn't have a mate yet Emmery. This- I mean SHE is all yours see, just take her and get out of here." The insulting lies came out easy as she pulled her embarrassingly whimpering son behind her.

Sacrificing me didn't appease Emmery.

"You stealing from me, boy?" Emmery bellowed grabbing JJ by his fabrics. "You dare to stand against Midnight?" This would get ugly soon.

"Somebody do something!" I yelled out my heart thrumming just as loud, he'd kill my mate. I know he would.

It was when one of the chandeliers crashed down loudly between guests that I saw JJ slumped and hurt against a wall far opposite from us.

Emmery!

The guests not bothering to brave it, ran off in panic; even my parents. I ran to JJ's side, nearly dying at the sight of gashes bleeding on one side of his face, he was mine and I planned to take care of him, until his mother screamed.

"Arrest her, she's an impostor!"