Chapter 23

[@Omavicious this is for you dear]

3rd Person.

--6 months later--

"What do you mean she's not an Alpha?!" The first words that flew from JJ's mouth as elders Hubbard and Kaneez inspected his newborn daughter, standing just a few feet away from the bed where Vanessa lay with her family crowded around her, checking on her health; despite having all the comforts of a private room and the best health care. "An Alpha's mate? Perhaps. But son, I assure you that an Alpha she is not." It wasn't out of the norm for a female to be an Alpha, but it was for an Alpha's first born not to be.

"What the fuck happened then?" JJ said pulling his hair in frustration, before getting in the elder's face. "Answer me you ancient fart, how did this happen?!"

Despite being exhausted, Vanessa wanted her baby, she didn't like how careless and aggressive JJ was being towards the very elder holding their tiny baby girl. More so, she didn't care about titles, she was just very happy that she had her own family despite her fated dying on her.

"Could you please hand Oracle over?" She said tiredly, "She's just a baby JJ, I don't know how you could expect so much from her." She said as Jackson swiftly brought the infant to her, holding her like a proud grandpa.

"Hubbard, please forgive my son's manners." Jackson apologized to the man, "I promise you I will sooner beat them into him if I have to." He sent a hard stare towards JJ, emphasizing his words. JJ simply ran his hands through his hair, he kept disappointing his father no matter what he tried, now he's failed to produce an heir for the pack.

"Oh we've seen worse, haven't we my friend?" Elder Kaneez placed a comforting hand on a stunned Hubbard's shoulder, who simply nodded. Honestly, he himself was appalled by the level of insolence the young Alpha portrayed, but he hid it behind a forced smile, eager to be gone from the pup's presence.

"The only explanation would be that the young Alpha here already has an heir-"

"Oh shut up old man!" JJ said cutting Elder Kaneez off. "I covered up every time except with Vanessa and-and Rain..." He trailed off, confusedly turning his stare towards his mother, as did a disbelieving Jackson.

Poor Lilly, all eyes were on her now and not a single looked too comforting to stare into.

"Lilly," Jackson started, his fisted hands at his sides, not sure if he could hold himself  back  from attacking his mate in anger. "Would there be any chance that you miscalculated matters concerning Rain?" He growled out, even his throat drying up at the thought.

It wasn't comforting any that Lilly already wore a regretful look on her face, immediately looking older than her late thirties. She slowly slid down the wall near the room's entrance, slowly shaking her head mumbling under her breath.

"Lilly!!" Jackson said sternly, startling his fragile looking mate.

"I-I, it was an honest mistake my love I swear!" She choked out through her clogged throat, tears already raining down her cheeks, fear radiating off of her in waves.

"Are you telling me that I sent the one carrying MY grandchild to deathly danger all because of your 'honest mistake' Lilly? Answer Me!!" He bellowed, stalking towards her as she cowered further into the wall behind her.

"P-please my love," she begged, hands pressed together in the gesture, gaze averted. If she had looked up she would've seen the storm in her mates eyes and the veins straining in his balled fists.

She was scared, she knew of her mate's temper, even though her son had taken over as Alpha, it was clear where the real power remained. Even the elders and extended family were tense, worried that Jackson would actually kill his mate in front of them, it was a possibility seeing as he was so close now he could grab her if he wanted. That was until a soft yet shaky voice disturbed the impending doom.