Chapter 22

3rd Person.

Today was the day and our dear Luna couldn't keep her excitement to herself and Jackson was pretending to be so proud. Their son was growing up, over the past four months he had been to school with his choice mate, they'd made announcements of the next leaders' mating ceremony.

The pack leaders had invited packs from far and wide to witness the mating of new Alpha and Luna of the Canyon Pack, JJ and Vanessa. Sure, no one would be privy to the information that before this ceremony, Jackson had locked his son in and begged him to reconsider, to cancel the wedding telling him that he has a team ready on stand-by to go out in search of 'the young Everton should he say the word.

~~~~

Rain was not OK, something was amiss, she just didn't know what it was because so far her pregnancy term was going alright. It only lasted 5 months per she-wolf and she had barely just finished the fourth month. If she could count, she had about 31 days left and then she could deliver healthy pups.

She had managed so far, she worked in sync with her wolf, they hunted viciously, any competition over prey was defeated because pregnant meant she had more reason to fight for survival.

Living in the forest had been hard but she wouldn't trade it, right now, her wolf easily carried the weight of the pregnancy. Now she was making her way to a river she'd discovered living in the wild. She didn't know why or how but she was thirsty, and felt that the water would end whatever the bad feeling she had. She was only 30 minutes from the river and was using her human form, Lara had to rest so that when midnight comes, she be ready to keep watch.

Holding her hand to a tummy that was equivalent to a 7 month carrying human, she walked. It was dark already but still early, and the wind was whistling its warmth on her animal skin wearing self. But something was not OK, she didn't know what so she checked her surroundings over and over...

~~~~

Eva could see the bustle within the pack, everybody running about, others ready for the ceremony to begin in 5 minutes. She couldn't find it in her to be joyous for her future leaders, apparently this was daughter's mate and he'd used and rejected her. She feared this was gonna kill her child, so she remained in her house instead staring out at the stars. Hoping her baby was OK...

Collin watched his mate as she stood by the window, she was worried he could feel it. So was he, he'd only come out of his self-inflicted imprisonment from his office three days after her banishment. There he'd cried his guilt out for standing by as his daughter's being got destroyed on a daily basis. Why he'd chosen to ignore her just so he doesn't get in trouble with his mate, why he'd failed to equally be a loving father as he was a mate. He resolved that it won't happen again but he wondered, will he ever get a chance to say he is sorry to his only daughter?

Their son was asleep as all children, but he'd protect that boy no matter what. For now, he wasn't attending no ceremony aimed at finishing off his daughter, if she still lives that is, he'd stay here in solidarity with his mate and pray Rain lives. So as the horn to start sounded outside, he went to his mate and rubbed her shoulders in comfort. He'd been a bad father, he was sure he was going to hell for that but no more, not for failing another one...

~~~~

There was a beautiful line of lanterns hung on the trees to light up as well as to beautify their specifically chosen site in the open field within the forests of Canyon Pack. The officiator, Grand Elder Puter Kaneez stood on a white stone waiting with the male, JJ. And as the drums started beating, mimicking a sound much like a heart beat, Vanessa came through a walkway made of flowers, this was it.

Rain's heart started beating faster, what was happening? She tried to run to the river, feeling that she must get there but then she tripped on a stone, was that there before? She landed on her hands and knees, feeling a slight jolt of pain cut through her stomach at the fall, 25 minutes more to the river, looking around she found she was still in the same place as 5 minutes before, did she walk in circles? Why was she so confused, she felt like she couldn't see, quick she tried walking faster...