Chapter 1

*Dakota's POV*

Hey I'm Dakota. I am 17 years old. I'm in my senior year of high school. My birthday is May 20th. Right now, it's May 1st. Anyways right now, I'm at my locker at school. It's 8:05am. 5 more minutes till we have to get into class. My friend Jasmine was at her locker next to me. She has beautiful blond hair with blue eyes. I have red hair with blue eyes. Jasmine is about my height. 5'4. "Did you do the math homework last night? I asked, putting my books in my locker. "Shoot we had homework?" "Yes. I didn't do mine because I feel asleep when I got home." "Well well well. Look what we have here. Dakota Marie Grace." I slammed my locker door shut. "Peter Gene Hernandez," I said as I turned around to face him. Peter is known as Bruno Mars. But people call him Peter in school. He's the bad boy of this school. He thinks that since he's famous, he's the bad boy. It sickens me. "How was the pole last night?" Peter asked. "How was having fun with girls last night?" I asked sarcastically. "Haha very funny." "Why are you even here?" I asked, crossing my arms. "I need lunch money." "Why would I give you my money so I can starve?" "Cause it's funny." "Goodbye." "You give me your money!" "No. You and your stupid gang get away from me now before I hit you." "Aww you're so adorable. You don't scare me," Peter said, smiling. The bell rang for class. I walked past Peter and walked into the classroom. I sat down at my desk. I took out my notebook and started drawing. All of a sudden, my notebook was in Peter's hands. I stood up. "What's your deal? Can I have my notebook back please?" Peter ripped some of my drawing and crumbled them up. He threw them on the ground. He then stepped on the crumbled paper. He threw my notebook on the desk and laughed. He sat down at his desk. His gang kicked the papers around, laughing. His gang consists of Kam Whalum and Phil Lawrence. The phone rang in the classroom. The teacher walked over to the phone and answered it. I felt something hit me. I looked over and saw that there was a pen on the floor. "Real funny Peter," I said, rolling my eyes. "Why thank you. I..." "Mr. Hernandez, the office would like to see you." Peter's smile turned into a worry. He got up and walked out of the classroom. I didn't see Peter for the rest of the day. I got home and went up in my room. I laid down on my bed and whipped out my phone. I decided to go on Instagram to look up Peter's Instagram to see if he's okay. I didn't see anything. The past two days, Peter didn't show up to school. Even though he's mean to me, I was worried. Luckily, he showed up. "Dakota Marie Grace," Peter said, walking up to me. "Is everything okay?" I asked. He looks like he hasn't gotten any sleep and he seemed like he was sad. "Oh be quiet. It's not like you care," Peter snapped. "Look, we may hate each other but I will always be here for you." "Stop giving me that shit. Just leave me alone." He turned around and started to walk away. I ran past him and stopped in front of him. "What's your deal? I told you that..." I interrupted him with a hug. "I'm here for you." I expected Peter to beat me up but instead, he wrapped his arms around me, tightly. "Thank you. You're the first person to ever say that to me." I looked up at Peter. "Whatever is going on, you will get through this." "Come with me." "Class is about to start." "It won't take long," Peter said. "Okay." We walked down the hall to a staircase. Peter sat down. "Sit down next to me. I won't hurt you." I sat down next to him. "The reason why I was sent to the office and wasn't there for the past two days is because..." He took a deep breath. He looked down. Tears filled his eyes. "Peter, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." "I want to because I trust you." "Take your time." "Okay so Monday, I got called down to the office because my...mom died." "Oh my god. Peter, I'm so sorry." "Why her? I was so close to her." Peter stood up and walked over to the wall. I stood up and walked over to Peter. "Everything will be okay." "No. I wish I could be with her. I can't take it here. My dad left me. My mom died and my brother beats me." "Wait what?" Peter realized what he said. "Let's go back to class," Peter said, walking away. I ran to him. I grabbed his arm and he stopped walking. "Your brother beats you?" "I didn't say that." "Yes you did." "Just forget it." "How can I forget that your brother beats you?" "Shut up, Dakota!" "Peter, you can trust me." "I will beat you if you don't stop bringing it up." Peter walked away. Thoughout the day, Peter wouldn't go near me. Last period. Finally. It's English class. "Okay class. We will be doing a research project. It is a group project with only two. I will be choosing the groups. Dakota and Peter, you two will work with each other." I looked over at Peter. I could tell he didn't want to be my partner. The bell rang. I gathered my stuff. I walked over to Peter. "Hey so about this group project, do you wanna go to my house or yours?" Peter looked at me like I was stupid. "I'm guessing my house," I said. "Anywhere that I don't have to deal with my brother." "Would you like me to drive you there?" "Yes. Phil usually drives me." "Okay." We walked to my car in silence.