His Eyes

Chapter Thirty

His Eyes

Sang's POV:

Today was finally the day. Baby Phoenix was coming home. All the days and nights of constant pumping, and feedings, tests, tubes, monitors; it was finally coming to an end. I could finally look into my sons eyes all day long. He was filling out quite well, although he was still such a tiny thing. He had managed to gain two and a half pounds in five weeks. The doctors, including Sean, said that was beyond amazing. I only wish the whole family was going to be here for the occasion.

Victor, Owen, and North as well as Corey and Marc, had been going back and forth working with the Air Force about the footage. I was usually too tired to discuss much with them, and honestly it was probably best I didn't get my hopes up. I know they would come to me if there was something noteworthy. One evening I had been in and out of sleep, but had overheard them talking about possible routes they might have taken if the parachutes had deployed. I hated that word 'if'. It was too final. I know Kayli kept telling me to just start thinking about our future and moving on, but I had to hold out hope. They were out there, somewhere, alive.

Regardless, today was still something to celebrate. My tiny, four pound, five ounce baby boy was going home with all of us. I had never thought I would see such a group of doting fathers. They had each had a hand in caring for Phoenix. When I was still healing and too tired to move, they would help me pump. They would be vigilant, round the clock keeping an eye on him. Someone was always there to feed him with me, or if I was asleep one of them would take a turn.

The day he had opened his eyes for the first time, I happened to be by myself with the nurses. I was feeding him with what I called a baby doll's bottle three weeks ago. I was running my sterile hands across his cheek, and he finally started blinking. His tiny little eyebrow ridges squinched together as the brightness from the lights filtered in. It took him a moment to adjust, but then they just opened and he stared at me. They were the most beautiful crystalline blue I had seen in a long time... just like his father's eyes. I knew tears were falling down my face. He stopped suckling on the bottle for a moment as we looked into each other's eyes, then he continued. I only wish he could hear me.

Sean mentioned that later on, we could look into cochlear implants if that was what we wished. I didn't know at this point in time. It was too early. There were other things to worry about. He also said that regardless, sign language was a must and that we needed to begin learning and using it now. Luke and Owen already had an advantage and had started teaching the basics to me.

"Are you ready?" Sean asked as he swaddled Phoenix up.

"Yes. Is the seat already installed? Did they take the bag down? Has all the pumped milk been transported? Did..." I was cut off by Sean placing his finger over my lips.

"Pookie? We have everything. It was done earlier. Nathan grabbed the milk about an hour ago and already took it home and has it stored. Victor and Owen will meet us there. Silas installed the car seat. We have everything taken care of. You need to just hold our son and be happy while I roll you downstairs. This limo can get a bit bumpy." He smiled before kissing me on the nose, and handing me Phoenix. I felt like I was holding nothing, and the weight of the world at the same time. Was I really ready to be a mom without nurses and doctor's buzzing around me full time? Sean started pushing the wheel chair. Well, the good thing is that I had a full family to help out.

We made it to the car with no incidents. One more hurdle crossed. Sean went to take him from me. I found it difficult to let him go as I had only recently been able to keep holding him when I wanted to. I reluctantly let him put Phoenix in the car seat. He opened the front door for me. I shook my head no.