A Little Bubbly

Chapter Thirty-Seven

A Little Bubbly

( Playlist – Deep In The Meadow sung by Jessie Daniels )

Sang's POV:

I thought maybe we were going to go to dinner afterwards, but everyone really just wanted space. We arrived back at the house and filed out of the vehicles without a word. I tried to open my mouth several times. I wanted to say something, anything to break the silence, but in the end I was unable to get the words out. They each went to their own rooms leaving me and Phoenix to our own devices. I felt selfish for feeling so needy right now. That was fine. I could get through this on my own. They needed their time, and I needed mine. I took Phoenix up to his room, then went down and grabbed everything I would need. I even lugged the mini fridge from the conference room to my suite. I was thankful mine and Phoenix's rooms were connected. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a few more item's; baby cereal, bottles, my pump, dishwashing soap, storage bags, garbage bags, some food and drinks. After I got everything settled, I locked mine and Phoenix's doors, making sure they were Academy proofed (which is harder than you may think). I needed time to think too. I wanted to prove to them I could do it on my own.

I looked in on Phoenix. He was still sleeping. I grabbed my comforter and pillow from my bed before returning to my son's room and laying them out carefully. I know I would hear if he woke up, but I put the monitor right next to my head anyway.

I tossed and turned for a long while. I had not slept alone since I was a teenager. I hadn't been without Gabriel since he had left for the war. It was hard to think that he was... just gone. Gabriel. I reached up to my ear, feeling the earrings he had given me, and a tear slid down my face. Once one fell, more started to fall. The tears soon became comforting and eventually the wracking sobs rocked me to sleep.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ "Oy, Sang! Get that beautiful arse out of bed! It's time to go run in the snow."

"But it isn't snowing." I was so confused. Was it the fact that Gabriel was waking me up or that it was snowing? I couldn't figure it out. We'll go with the snow.

"Sure it is. Look out the fu*king window."

It was beautiful. They were the big fat flakes, too. I felt him come up behind me and brush a kiss across the top of my head, and then wrap his arms around me.

I woke with a start. I looked in every direction. It was dark except for the illumination from the lights in my son's room. I felt my head where Gabriel had kissed me. Gabriel's home! I quickly checked to make sure Phoenix was still sleeping and started unlocking the door. Once done, I took off for Gabriel's room.

Reaching his door, I didn't know what I would say to him. I was happy he was home; angry of the trick he had pulled; excited that he could actually meet his son. I carefully opened his door. It was still dark inside. The room felt musty and unused. But there were remnants of him still here. I could still smell the different scents. I closed the door behind me and entered the rest of the way into his room. "Gabriel? You can come out now." I went over to the windowseat where he had sang to me. His guitar sat so lonely. I picked it up. How different could it be from a violin? I tried to wrap my fingers around it like I would the neck of my violin and strummed. It wasn't quite the A chord I was hoping to get, but close enough. I quickly put the guitar back on its stand and went to his bed... our bed. His clothes were laid out from when he had come back for his week of leave.