Chapter Three

November and I met more like that, in the old trailer. We sat there and I would listen to him hum song lyrics whilst we passed a vodka bottle back and forth.
One day he asked why I skipped lunch most of the time and immediately after he said that I saw the look of sorrow and regret in his eyes.
"I guess I could ask you the same thing," I said and he had shrugged.
"Well you see," He paused for a moment and took a drink of vodka before he continued,"I skip more classes than just lunch."
"Well then why do you skip those classes?"
His reply was what caught me off guard. It was more in depth than just 'I don't like them'.
"Because those classes make me feel pain inside. They remind me of someone and I wish to not feel as much pain so therefore, a solution to my problem is to not attend to them," He handed me the bottle of vodka and as I drank from it, I realized that November and I don't drink to drown away our problems. Because we don't. People say that drugs are self destructive. But really, hasn't it been love that's self destructive all along, not drugs?
November nudged me and asked,"Well tell me, why do you always skip lunch then?"
"I'm anorexic." I said. It was a simple answer. He nodded as if to say he understood then got up from his desk and said,"The bell just rang. Lunch is over Taylor,"
"That doesn't mean I have to leave," I replied.
"True,"
I nodded and Nova still walked outside, leaving the trailer door open as to signal for me to follow him.
"Oh okay, alright," I gave in and I heard him chuckle ahead of me.
"Where are we going?" I asked and he sat down on the sidewalk.
"Right here."
The sidewalk was still frozen due to the cold weather.
November pulled what seemed to be a ukulele out of his bag (November takes his bag everywhere) and started strumming.
"This footprints are fading away from the beach. We're not a family the pray or the preach but Daddy's best friend took a hand full of pills and now he's at a podium makin a speech. Yesterday night after dark, He carefully rewrote his remark. But everyone said what he wrote on his page so he threw it away and went straight from the heart," November sang.
"I thought this was a party, but all my friends are leaving and I still want to play," I sang quietly.
"You wrecked me when you stepped out, because you're the wounded healer, and you're supposed to stay."
November stopped playing and looked at me with a smile.
"You know that song?" He asked.
"Of course I do," I said.
He put his ukulele back in his bag and started singing a different song.
"And hey darling, I hope you're good tonight. And I know you don't feel right when I'm leaving yeah I want it but no I don't need it. Tell me something sweet to get me by. Cause I can't come back til they're singin,"
"La-la-la-la-la-la-la. Now everyone is singing if you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."
"Huh. You know that song too," He said.
We kept doing that for awhile, singing different song lyrics from different songs.

And for once,

I felt comfortable with someone.