Chapter Four

As the weeks went on, November and I got closer. We sang songs together in the trailer and drained out so many vodka bottles that I lost count. We got more comfortable around each other. But it was one morning that I'll never forget with him.
Nova parked in front of a cliff that was about ten feet tall and towered over the landscape, which consisted of fields and hills.
"Here we are," He said.
We got out of the car and we climbed the cliff.
The view of the sunrise here was beautiful.
You could see the different colors and shades of oranges, pinks, and reds. In the middle was a long streak of white. Truly beautiful.
November and I sat down and he pulled a bottle of vodka (like usual) out of his bag, then his ukulele, and lastly and song book we had been working on. It had different lyrics and sounds in it that we thought of, sometimes randomly and other times on purpose. We always had it with us.
I was the first one to open the bottle and before I took the first drink, Nova stopped me.
"What?" I asked.
He pulled a camera out of his bag (the fuck?) and took a picture of me taking the first drink with the beautiful morning sky in the background.
I laughed and he laughed with me.
"Since when were you a photographer?" I asked and he shrugged, something that I now know he does very often.
"I've liked photography since I was little but I've always liked music better. I guess I forgot about my camera after all those years," November said.
I handed him the bottle and he took a drink of it. This time it was my turn to take the picture.
It captured the greenness of his eyes and the way his hair seemed to glow.
We sat there in a comfortable silence for awhile, handing the vodka bottle back and forth.
"You wanna scream?" He asked out of the blue.
"Umm.....sure?" I said and he stood up.
"Everyone will hear us!" I said and he hushed me.
"Exactly. We've been ignored for who knows how long by everyone, even our parents. So now it's time for them to listen,"
"Okay, give me the camera," He said,"You're doing it first,"
"Oh, okay, whatever," I said and handed him the camera.
First, I only let out a small scream.
"That's all?" November asked.
I shook my head and continued.
I made it loud and I screamed until my voice became hoarse and it hurt.
Nova handed me the camera and looked out at the sky. We could see almost the whole city and I knew a lot of people heard me. But oh, did they here November.
He screamed and screamed and shit man, did he fucking scream.
We both screamed. And we did it together.
Once he was done screaming, He turned to look at me with a grin as big as fucking America.
"That....that felt really fucking good," He said and it made me smile, too.
Damn, his smile is so contagious.
November and I climbed down the cliff and walked down the steep hill the cliff was on and into the fields and laid there.
He pulled the ukulele out of his backpack and strummed to an oh-so familiar song that I personally, grew up with.
I waited until he got to the chorus before singing,"Take my hand, take my whole life too, cause I can't help falling in love with you,"
He stopped playing the ukulele to take a moment and look at me with a smile so cheesy I swear it was going to melt.
And before I knew it, his lips were pressed against mine.
I pulled away, shocked, and November looked scared, as if he had done something wrong.
"I should go now," I said quickly and he nodded.
We got up quickly and we walked to the car in silence.
He drove me home and dropped me off, looking at me with a sad face before I leaned in and kissed him again.
"This morning was great," I said and he smiled as to look relieved that him kissing me didn't ruin our whole relationship. Because he didn't.

With November, I feel safe.

And I haven't felt safe in years.