Pain Anger and Saddness

A Stormcutter glided effortlessly through the clouds. Him and his rider were out searching for more dragons to rescue and take to their sanctuary.

His rider's staff twirled and pointed towards the sun.

"Let's try over westward," the rider spoke to the Stormcutter. She knew a special language called Dragonese. She could speak to dragons.

"But Valka, we checked there yesterday!" the Stormcutter complained to his rider.

"Ah well, Cloudjumper! Stop complaining, there could be dragons there now," Valka scolded her dragon. It was getting late, and they had been flying for half of the day.

Cloudjumper sighed before turning towards the low sun.

Before flying too much in the westward direction, he picked up on a familiar smell. He could smell blood and dragon, but that familiar smell? He couldn't place it.

Cloudjumper turned sharply to his starboard.

"Cloudjumper! Enough of this! Turn back to the west!"

"No, I think there's an injured dragon this way!" He pelted through the clouds as the scent grew stronger. Then, he dived.

When he got below the clouds, he stopped and hovered so Valka could see. She peered over the edge of his wing.

"No way," she gasped. "It can't be!" She signaled for Cloudjumper to take her lower. "A Night Fury."

Below her on an iceberg was a black dragon. It was curled around something and growling.

Valka had never heard a Night Fury before, and she could only catch so much of what it was saying.

"Stay...come...closer...bite...off," was what she could catch of the Night Fury's unique accent. All dragon spoke Dragonese, but their accents were different. Deadly Nadders spoke with a sharper tone, and Monstrous Nightmares' voices were deeper and growly. But the Night Fury was even more low and smooth.

Valka slid off of Cloudjumper and landed on the ice berg. The Night Fury was immediately up and threatening. It spread it's wings to appear larger, and began to flap them, creating a heavy draft.

Valka dropped her staff, crouched lower, and held out her hand. "It's okay, I won't hurt you. I'm a friend," she spoke to it.

The black dragon immediately dropped and cocked it's head in wonder. "How...speak my...?"

Valka got the jest. "I'm a friend of all dragons, I've lived with them for fifteen years. Just ask Cloudjumper," she said as she edged closer.

The Night Fury shot Couldjumper a quizzical look, which he returned with a small nod.

The Night Fury sniffed Valka's hand, which was only inches from his nose. "...smell familiar...,"

It sniffed again, and was suddenly taken back to a few months before. The Night Fury put it's nose in a boy's hand. The scent overwhelmed it. "Ugh! I touched a human!"

The black dragon felt a rush of realization. "...Hiccup's...!"

Valka put her hand down. "Did you say Hiccup!?"

Cloudjumper whacked himself with his tail. "That's what I was smelling!"

The Night Fury responded, "Yeah...Hiccup's mother!"

Valka was beginning to get used to the Night Fury's accent.

"How do you know Hiccup?" Valka demanded.