Sister

Hanna was soaring through the clouds. She had been up here with her best friend for hours.

"Stonescale, we should probably go back. Mom might be worried about us," she spoke to her Hobblegrunt.

"I doubt it. When have you ever gone out flying with me and not come back more than three hours later?"

Hanna laughed, "True, but we've been up here for five and a half hours straight. Aren't you tired?"

"A bit, but I've gotten used to being up here that long. Thanks to you."

"Wow, you make it sound like I force you to stay up that long. Alright, lets go back. We have to go back anyway if we want to have dinner on time. There's no way I'm going to let Mom make dinner again."

"Yeah, you sure learned your lesson about staying out too late," Stonescale said as he banked to his port side and started flying southwest towards the sanctuary.

As soon as the familiar giant spikes of ice came into view, a scream-like roar echoed across the water. It said nothing, but the tone was pure happiness. Hanna had never heard that roar before. Normally, as soon as she heard a roar she could tell what type of dragon it was coming from. But not this time. She had no idea what had made that sound.

As she got closer to her home, she noticed a black spec swooping between the spikes. She was about to tell Stonescale to head for the clouds, but he read her mind and they spiked upwards.

"Stonester, are you afraid?" Hanna taunted her dragon.

"No, what makes you say that?"

"You've turned black." Indeed, Stonescale's scales had turned jet black, indicating fear. The Hobblegrunt groaned and Hanna smoothed his crown fin down, which had stuck straight up. It was an instinct Hobblegrunts had to make them appear bigger.

As Hanna smoothed the fin, he turned a light blue, but soon switched to a deep blood red, showing confidence and protection. His fin expanded in challenge as they flew closer to their home. The black spec, a dragon, had begun to fly very fast, faster than any dragon Hanna had ever seen before. It gained height before diving down in a continuing spiral. As it neared the water, Hanna exclaimed, "It's going to crash!" No dragon could pull out of that dive now, it was too close to the water.

But, to Hanna's amazement, the dragon pulled up and spread its night black wings to catch the updrafts. It soared up to the clouds effortlessly. Hanna was speechless.

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

Hiccup was flying just below the clouds, enjoying the wind in his hair. He could stay up here forever. Toothless was soaring in a continuous loop around the island. Neither of them wanted to go in yet.

Suddenly, Toothless' head shot up and he spread his ear flaps. He warbled ominously.

"What? What is it bud?" Hiccup asked, but that question was soon answered. A smaller, deep red dragon burst through the clouds about twenty meters in front of them. It dove down and came up right in front of them. The dragon glared at them while trying its best to hover in front of them. Then, it's eyes widened and the dragon, a Hobblegrunt, turned a bright yellow and almost fell out of the sky.

That's when Hiccup noticed there was a girl on the dragon's back. She had bright red hair that was braided and curled into a bun on the back of her head. The many strands that hung lose were swept behind her in the wind. She had emerald green eyes - his eyes.

"Hanna?" Hiccup asked the stranger. The girl tilted her head in confusion. Hiccup almost facepalmed. Hanna doesn't know Norse. So, he tried again. "Hello."