The Right Fabric?

"What in the name of Thor are we gonna tell mom?" Hiccup asked. "We've been gone almost twenty four hours!"

"We'll think of something," Hanna told him as the sanctuary came into view.

"Right, well, when she's questioning you don't look to me for help."

Soon, they reached their icy home. They swooped into one of the many tunnels and flew towards the sanctuary. When they entered, they found most of the dragons basking in the moonlight, asleep. Only the nocturnal dragons were awake, playing. Except for one Terrible Terror, who waddled up to them.

"Hi, Bronzeblaze," Hanna greeted the golden Terror.

"Hi."

"Where's mom?"

Hiccup expected him to say: Sleeping, duh! But instead...

"She went out, said she might be gone a couple of days. She told me to tell you guys this when you got back. By the way, you guys took forever! I've been up all night!" The little dragon staggered. Hiccup thought he might even just fall asleep mid talk. He had to admit, he was tired too, and he figured Toothless was even more exhausted.

"Sorry, Bronzy," Hanna apologized, "We'll be quicker next time."

"That's what you always say," he mumbled as he took flight. That plan didn't exactly work though. Half way to the other side of the cavern, he dropped out of the air, and landed, snoring, on the king's back.

"This has happened before?" Hiccup asked as they walked towards the kitchen.

Hanna answered, "Yeah, pretty often, actually. We use Bronzeblaze as our message leaver. I'd of used him this morning if I could've found him."

They arrived in the kitchen, and Stonescale lit the stove. Hiccup realized how hungry he was as his sister picked a pot off the wall.

"So, when ever one of you leaves while the other isn't available, you just leave a message with Bronzeblaze?"

"Pretty much."

They ate a small meal (fish and greens) before going to their separate rooms and almost instantly falling asleep.

Hiccup woke up around noon the next day. Getting out of his bed, he went to the slab of charred rock that was Toothless' bed. The black dragon was sound asleep, his chest rising and falling as he breathed.

Hiccup suddenly remembered when he had gone into the forest, hoping to kill this dragon. He thanked Thor everyday for his decision not to.

Bending down, he picked up what looked like a small, round plate of obsidian. A Night Fury scale. He walked to his desk, took a bucket off one of the shelves beneath the table, and dropped the scale in.

The bucket was full. Hiccup knew now was the time to act on his blueprints for the new tail.

He walked towards the kitchen, bucket in hand. He started up the coals, and called Blade over.

"Is it time, boss?"

"Sure is, Blade. Come on, this Gronkle Iron won't make itself!" Hiccup filled a stone bowl with the ingredients, and placed it at Blade's feet. The Gronkle eagerly licked his lips before burying his head in the bowl.

Hiccup got to work, measuring the proper weights for the new tail, thinning out the leather outline, and shaping the iron Blade was making him.

After about ten minutes, the green Gronkle spoke, "There you go, boss. I think that's all of it!" He nosed the bowl back over to him, some of the molten iron sloshing onto the ground.