The Comet

---Metropolis Streets---

Shadow, Tails, and Cream all sped down the street dodging cars in traffic.
"Cream how you holdin' up kid!?" Shadow called back to her.
"I'm okay!" She said flying a few inches behind on his right her ears working hard to keep up with his speed.
"Tails?" He looked to his left.
"Right behind ya!" Tails put a thumb up, it had been a while but all his years running with the blue hedgehog let him keep up with Shadow with ease.

As they dashed the streets they had ran into some company.
"Shadow, Cream, Tails!" Amy was running the same way as well.
"Hi Amy!" Cream waved.
"No time to chat Amy, we gotta run!" Shadow said speeding up not wanting to be distracted by her.
"Wait! You're going to see the comet too?!" She called slowly being left behind by the one track minded hedgehog.
"Did you make a wish Amy?" Cream asked happily.
"You bet I did!" The pink hedgehog began to skip instantly in a day dream about her wish to come true.
"What did you wish for?" Cream became interested and both their paces became slowed.

"Tails come on they're getting side tracked!" Shadow growled keeping his pace and left the two girls behind to dilly dally in their chat of wishes on stars.

"Move it hedgehog no ones going to see the comit before us!" Jet the Hawk almost ran them over with his hover board, the rest of his team caught up.
"Yeah! We're gonna get there first!" Storm repeated.
"What ever that rock has on it, it belongs to us!" Wave said glaring at Tails.

"You think everything has treasure in it don't you?" Shadow narrowed his eyes gliding effortlessly beside Jet's hover board though the hawk tried picking up more speed to pass him.
"Well better to find out first, then to risk it and someone else have it!" Jet groused angrily that he couldn't shake Shadow from his side and looked back at Storm. Catching his boss's silent signal Storm brought out a bola swinging it around and let it fly towards Shadow wrapping around his ankles causing him to trip over himself though curling in a ball to try and break his fall he received bloody scrapes and burns from the asphalt of the road. Tails dropped to his side quickly helping him from the tangling rope as Jet laughed and sped away.

" Shadow!" Tails panted helping him back to his feet, "Are you okay?"
Shadow grumbled in pain kicking the rest of the tangled rope from his anckles, "Damn we'll never beat them to it." He looked up where the meadow lay holding the mystery the wounds had been deep and very bloody to anyone else it would have most likely sent them to the hospital if they had survived a collision with the road like he had, but pain was quickly numb to his body and all he was concerned about was beating everyone to the comet. 
"Well," Tails started began still breathless and possibly a little out of shape from spending so much time just in his laboratory, "Why don't you just chaos control over there?"
Shadow's eyes lit up and he gasped with all the excitement and interaction with that stupid treasure hoarding bird he almost forgot he could do such a thing,"Hey! That's a good idea!" Quickly he brought Tails in a head lock and chaos controlled to the meadow.

---Meadow---

The two looked around arriving in the grassy quiet meadow Tails still trying to catch his breath as Shadow looked around franticly. 
"Shadow!!" Tails called. Shadow looked above to the fox as he pointed just a few feet away in the horizon.
"We aren't that far! Follow me!" Tails took off in the direction as Shadow followed on foot.

As they came closer it looked to be no different to any other asteroid that Shadow had remembered. The impact made a crater in the ground and it split in the middle.
"Well" Tails came by Shadow's side after looking over the perimeter, "I think it looked more promising in the sky..."
"What!? You mean... it's just, a rock!?" Shadow cried.
"Well, pretty much, from the outside..." Tails nodded sadly if he wanted to look further into it he would have had to bring his tools, which he hadn't done and by the time he could retrieve them Jet, Amy might get to it. And G.U.N would tamper with it and take it to a secret location not allowing anyone else to touch it.
"No, your telescope saw something else. And I know you saw it too! We were right next to each other." Shadow shook his head not willing to give up and went to go investigate the rock himself.
"It's nothing Shadow. Maybe my lens was smudged causing a different effect on it." Tails said watching him not wanting to make further investigation himself for he couldn't have the time to fully analyze the speciman.  
"No it feels different, it should have been hot from the burning in the atmosphere. It's cold, like Ice." He said climbing on top of it. "And, the crack has heat coming out of it."
"Really?!" Tails looked up amazed and began to test Shadow's observations, being enough to toss his conservative worries about time or being interrupted aside and quickly slid down inside the crater to check for himself.
"I think it's hollow." Shadow said stomping on top of it. 
"I-I could make something to cut it open if I-" Tails began to think of make shift tools he could possibly make as his hopes began to rise.
"No we have no time to make and create."Shadow shook his head. "Move back." He ordered and leaped in the air throwing a Chaos Spear.
Once, and the crack got bigger, the blow knocked Tails over not taking any time to wait till he properly cleared the area. Twice, the rock split letting out air that created a light fog.
The two coughed waving away the mist and quickly peaked in over  the split rock to see it's fragile treasure inside.

"Well, maybe your theory was right Tails, I think everyone was wishing the same thing upon the same star." Shadow smiled back at Tails who's eyes were wide and his mouth stuck open in a gasp.
"S-Sonic..." He finally managed to say something and instantly wanted to grab his long lost friend in a hug.
"Wait Tails!" Shadow held him back looking up as voices closed in around them. "We'll take him to your lab okay."
He nodded quickly helping to push the split rock away from Sonic's limp body, as Shadow scooped him up. Tails gripped Shadow's shoulder as the dark hedgehog chaos controlled out of the area that was now invaded by GUN solders and a rant of citizens including Jet and his two team mates.

---Tails Lab---

Tails checked over Sonic, finding out he was still alive and in very good shape, just as he had always been.
"He's just unconscious." Tails said walking into the living room to notify Shadow. He left Sonic in the lab to rest. "He seems to be fine but has yet to wake up."
"That's good. He's alive, and he's back. That's more than anyone can ask for." Shadow nodded.
"Yeah." Tails smiled and took a relaxing seat next him heaving a satisfied sigh the feeling of bliss rushed over him as his eyes closed heavily and drifted off into sleep almost immediatly.