Welcome to the Boss Battle!

Successfully chaos controlling onto the mainland and a lengthy but quick travel to the White House, Sonic and his friends had intercepted the green Speed Demon just inches from climbing the steps that lead into the stronghold of the President Eggman.
"Scourge!" Sonic yelled after him causing the flames left behind by the other hedgehog to disappear as he came to a stop.
"Oh," Scourge turned around looking over the rim of the glasses, "Look at you, with all yer friends again, isn't that just sweet." Sarcasm bit at his tone his eyes falling on Amy looking stupid enough to start a fight with him for his comment.
"Scourge, the chaos emerald." Sonic held out his hand for the emerald that Scourge held within his pocket.
"Like I said, when you can take it from me." Scourge hissed shoving his hand in the pocket to grasp the emerald in his palm.
"We're so close," Sonic growled, "You were once under his control too, for once couldn't you just be on our side?"
"I'm on my own side. I never said I wouldn't help you kick this misplaced Santa Claus back to the North Pole, but again you want this Emerald? You'll have to take it from my ha-" he was cut off by Shadow, a chaos control placed the dark hedgehog in front of him and before he could finish his sentence he'd been challenged with dodging fists and hard shoes. Both their moves swift and almost too fast to keep up with, and kicked up a cloud of dust with their scrapping. A left swing from Shadow, dodged and and followed with evasion.
Sonic watched on his mind unlike his feet worked slowly at fitting together some pieces that was easily looked over. Something about Scourge had changed. Aside from having to be forced into the job, he'd rather be on defense than offense. As he fought Shadow he never tried to strike back with a counter attack. He'd shown mercy to him, though the fact beating him to a bloody pulp was nothing new, but to allow him to live and recover, just wasn't the old Scourge's way of life. Among other things, Sonic realized that Scourge wanted the Emerald for himself not to just make their mission difficult, but so he could make it back to his home zone of Möbius and possibly get back to or take control of his life of renewed freedom while he still had the chance.

"Shadow! Enough! Stop!" Sonic cried preparing himself to jump in between the two and take a few punches from Shadow if he had to.
Shadow stepped back huffing and irritable he couldn't land a hit as Scourge stood perfectly composed with a devilish smirk on his face.
"S'matter Stripes?" Scourge rocked on his heels like child, "Old age setting in?"
"Cut it out." Sonic glared sternly at him, "Alright, you don't have to surrender your emerald. But, your offer to help..."
"Still stands." Scourge nodded his smirk straightening.

"Shame." Eggman's voice came from a speaker, "I was enjoying the fight, if you could call it that? You could call it more of a game of tag? Give them a real fight Scourge, I bet you put dog fight's to shame, perhaps instead of killing them I'll make it a new national sport It could be featured in the Olympics!" 

The green hedgehog smirked once more looking between the two and the group ready to pitch in when needed. "No problem Prez, only it would be an honor if you were up here to witness it in person. Maybe you and I can give each other instant gratification, if ya know what I mean."

"Ew..." Tails whispered looking slightly confused.
"Oh! I see, well if you insist." The speaker made a click turning off.

"He didn't hear our deal." Scourge huffed with deep relief, "Alright game plan boys, here's what's gonna happen— I don't know why you brought all of them" He pointed back to Sonic's company of friends, "They're useless, but anyway I guess you guys could take on the obvious hoard of robots he'll send out so I can get close, I have a surprise for him. As for you," He nodded to Sonic, "And Stripes, just play along. Got it?"
"Hey!" Amy growled, "We are not useless! We came to help!"
"You can help by leaving! Don't wanna give any spoilers but it's gonna be a blast for me and the boys and you don't wanna get your pretty little face caught up in it." Scourge cleaned out his ear with a pinky restlessly waiting for Eggman to show.
"Why you-"
"Oh no, not you flat chest." Scourge shook his head at her, "I was talkin bout the melons in the back."
There was little glances to be had before they knew exactly who he'd been talking about. Rouge grit her teeth and snatched an shirken from Espio and let it zip through the air towards him. He easily managed to duck under it, letting the spinning star sink itself into the hovership Eggman preferred to fly in, instead of just walking.

"Gah!" Eggman grunted feeling the jerk of the ship and a grazed wire inside making the balance unsteady, "More players in the field is there? Two can play at that game." With a click of a button fighter bots were dropped in place and ready to engage.

"Where the hell did they even come from?" Wave questioned irritably.
"They're drones," Towers informed, "with the way technology advances they can have them in the location within hours if it's off of the mainland, so on it, it take a matter of a minute to a few seconds depending on the location."

"No problem!" Tails bravely stuck out his chest, "Wave, Towers come with me, Everyone else keep these guys busy!" Tails grabbed their hands and yanked them as the group offered a clear path for them to take cover. Once at a safe distance Tails took his trusty backpack he carried most of the time with him taking out a tablet and handed it to Wave.
"Hacking the drones." Wave confirmed she had caught on to his plan, "But it could take hours, G.U.N's security system is loaded with fire walls and password check points."
"That's why we have Towers, you still know a lot of those passwords, right Mr. Towers?" Tails went to work on his own device.
"Yes of course I have a hard time forgetting pretty much anything."
"Great then let's get to it." Wave nodded.

Meanwhile as the Drones were being fraught Sonic, Shadow, and Scourge faced off with Eggman himself.
"Scourge, what are you waiting for? I gave you a job to do!" Eggman crowd.
Scourge sucked his teeth irritably looking between the two other hedgehogs.
"If that's how you wanna play it, Shadow and I will take out your little guard dog as a warm up." Sonic struck up a stance.
"Oh ho ho! Sonic you never ceased to amuse me. I have to say I did miss it! But do you really not remember who exactly Scourge is? I'd like to see you try!" Eggman cackled sitting back in his chair.

Once again Sonic and Shadow both engaged Scourge with fist and feet flying another cloud of dust appeared as all three went head to head. Eggman's ship wobbled and for a moment he thought the shiriken had punctured a hole in the stabilizer however it straightened out and all seemed well, this time he would stay and watch the brutal end instead of running away to fix his machinery, or be accused of being a coward, and he didn't risk the chance of the job not done right. To his disappointment the squabbling between them seemed to last seconds more than he anticipated, and the drone fighter bots were being destroyed, and slowly over rided. He caught on, angrily beat red in the face he pressed a button pulling out guns from the side of his ship.
"Alright enough of this stalling! I see what you're doing Scourge!"
The three froze to the guns pointed at them panting and out of breath.
"Took ya long enough." Scourge smirked happily through panting, "They actually managed to give me a warmup."
"So think you could give those two bit hacker friends of his just enough time to turn my drones against me is that it? Well nice try, but it's too obvious and I caught onto you! I'll just blast the three of you all at once!" Eggman's hand searched his pocket only finding it empty, "Er.." He grumbled checking the other pocket.

"Didn't quite catch on all the way, though I admit it's a good plan and probably would have been how it turned out if it weren't for my quick thinkin. You lookin for this Doc?" Scourge held up a trigger with a button.
"What?! When did you-" Eggman gasped then remembered the wobble of his ship, "No matter, I'll still gun you down where you stand!"
"I wouldn't do that." Scourge answered, "You think I just desperately gabbed just the trigger and left ya with nothing? No worries I did an equal trade with you. For a fat man you have slim wrists. Fits an ankle bracelet perfectly."

Sonic's mouth, along with Eggman's popped open, their eyes drifting to Eggman's wrist, dawning a silver bracelet armed with the bomb he'd planted on Scourge at the start of his hire.
"Now now! L-let not get too hasty now!" Eggman sputtered.
"Scourge, don't." Sonic reached out his hand, for his.
"Why not?" Both Scourge and Shadow questioned.
"Well!" Eggman said, "All three of you are too close and would be affected by the blast!"
"Try me." Shadow growled.
"No Shadow!" Sonic answered back, "Scourge this isn't your call. Look it's been a long time since we last met, and memories clear or not, I see it. You've changed, Shadow you have too."
"Sorry, not sorry Sonic. Sure it's been too long, I might have adjusted to some new conditions, but you can't change who you are. You're pathetic and spare asshole's lives like this guy... and I don't." Scourge finally made his decision and clicked the button triggering the bomb on Eggman's wrist.

As the last battle drone was powered down, a bright light caught Amy's eyes and her scream made everyone freeze, "SONIC!!??"